Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

cannot delete dataset

Many posts where users can't delete datasets in the cloud power bi online. Someone said microsoft had to do it. What is the solution, why can't this be fixed? How do you call microsoft to get this resolved. Shut down, logged out, created new temporary reports, nothing works.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can try the following method:

1. Refer to the following post: How to Delete Old Data Set?

1. Goto the workspace (also referred to the app)
  2. On top right click on eclipses (...)
  3. Select "Unpublish App"
  4. Now go to your dataset and delete and confirm
  5. Click on the workspace eclipses again
  6. Select Edit Workspace
  7. Publish app again

21.PNG

2. Check if the dataset is part of one or more organizational content packs. If a dataset is part of one or more organizational content packs, the only way to delete it is to remove it from the content packs where it's being used, wait for it to be processed, and then try deleting it again.

22.PNG

If not your case, I would like to suggest you create a support ticket to investigate the issue. Once you create a support ticket, please share the same here for reference.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
AATBB

AATBB_1-1646875644071.png

This is where you delete a dataset. I removed the info for a more clear illustration of what needs to be pushed.

https://app.powerbi.com/datahub/datasets

joglidden2
Post Patron
Post Patron

Seriously PBI, it was just easier to unpin everything from the dashboard, publish the report and dataset under a new name, repin all the dashboard tiles, and now I have a zombie dataset to ignore.  Really, this was easier. Just FYI. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

You are able to delete the dataset from Power BI onlin service, or call the API.

Here are couple of links how you can do it:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/deletedataset

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/deletedatasetingroup

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the help. I'm receiving a 500 error. 

Here is the service call:

DELETE https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/[GROUP ID]/datasets/[DATASET ID]

[GROUP ID] I copy and paste from Power BI in the URL after /groups/

[DATASET ID] I copy and paste from Power BI in the URL after /datasets/

Response
{
"error": {
"code": "ContentProvider_CannotDeleteModelPublishedToOrganizationalApp",
"pbi.error": {
"code": "ContentProvider_CannotDeleteModelPublishedToOrganizationalApp",
"parameters": {},
"details": [],
"exceptionCulprit": 1
}
}
}

Any ideas? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

You have published your workspaces as an Organisational app.
You can delete the app first then you can try deleting the dataset.

To delete an app from Apps, Go to Apps and Click on delete symbol

2019-12-17 00_06_25-Window.png

Regards,
Amit

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have any apps pulished anymore, I removed them a long time ago. I'm sill having the issue. I really appreciate everyones suggestions? Any other ideas?

powerbi.JPG

I also had no apps published, but the first 3 steps of the previous answer fixed it for me. I know it makes no sense to unpublish the app when there isnt a published app, but it did work for me. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can try the following method:

1. Refer to the following post: How to Delete Old Data Set?

1. Goto the workspace (also referred to the app)
  2. On top right click on eclipses (...)
  3. Select "Unpublish App"
  4. Now go to your dataset and delete and confirm
  5. Click on the workspace eclipses again
  6. Select Edit Workspace
  7. Publish app again

21.PNG

2. Check if the dataset is part of one or more organizational content packs. If a dataset is part of one or more organizational content packs, the only way to delete it is to remove it from the content packs where it's being used, wait for it to be processed, and then try deleting it again.

22.PNG

If not your case, I would like to suggest you create a support ticket to investigate the issue. Once you create a support ticket, please share the same here for reference.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for all your help! 

@Anonymous  I assume this is a shared dataset? You can open a support ticket at support.powerbi.com

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors