Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

billiebi

cannot create workspace if Workspace settings not the entire organization to Specific security group

May anyone help? very appreciated!  I want to set in my company's BI service which does not allow every user be abel to create workspace.  By using the BI admin portal, I set "Create  workspaces" settings from the  entire organization to Specific security group, a pre-created security group of MS 365.  but I got error: App workspace creation is disabled....   With the "entire organization" option, I have no problem to create workspace. 

6 REPLIES 6
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @billiebi ,

According to your description, for now, new workspace experience preview workspaces no longer create Office 365 Groups. So you’ll use the Power BI Admin portal to manage the workspaces.

vhenrykmstf_0-1628739258158.png

In the Power BI Admin portal->tenant settings, a new setting controls who can create workspaces using the new workspace experience preview. When you set a new, the value applies only to the new workspace experience preview. Traditional workspaces built on O365 Groups, continue to be governed by the O365 setting.

Or you can managing Power BI Workspaces with PowerShell.

refer to the related document link:Power BI Workspace Management with PowerShell (mssqltips.com)

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, Henry,

thank you for your information. The error got with PowerShell to  create new workspace: New-PowerBIWorkspace : Operation returned an invalid status code 'Forbidden'

Becuase the controls who can create workspaces is set: specific security group.  This  is the same result with GUI to create workspace.  any advice?

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @billiebi 

Can you confirm that you have the permissions to modify the tenant settings?

If you do try and add an Azure Active Directory Security Group and see if that works. I think that an MS 365 group might not be allowed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Yes,  I do have the permissions to modify the tenant settings since this is my dev environment and I am the global admin.  I also added an Azure Active Directory Security Group and set the BI workspace to be created by the group.  

thanks!

HI, @GibertQ, thank you!  I tried to use "Azure Active Directory Security Group", but still the same though. 

Did you get this resolved....I am experiencing the same issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors