Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dtran
Helper II
Helper II

can not refresh dataset (both from 'refresh now' and 'schedule refresh'

-setup gateway and connection

-connection works when tested

-however, both manual refresh and schedule refresh failed. here is the error message:

"A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The received certificate has expired.)"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was able to resolve it by:

1) uninstalling on-premises data gateway

2) using Power BI - personal.

See here for solution: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Enterprise-gateway-quot-cannot-connect-to-the-mashup-data-so...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
dregan
Frequent Visitor

I had this issue, and none of the online resolutions worked.  The certificate was not expired, even though that was the error we were receiving.   We followed these steps:

Open SQL Server Configuration Manager, expand SQL Server Network Configuration, right-click Protocols for<server instance>, and then select Properties. On the Certificates tab you should see the details of the certificate that SQL Server is trying to use.

The certificate was blank by default but when we clicked the dropdown, it appeared.  We selected the certificate, hit apply and then needed to restart the SQL Server service. After we did this, the refreshes worked. 

I've already same problems with lost connection between Power Bi and MS SQL. The solution in my case was as @dregan explained.

solution_1.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just for anyone else who ends up on this thread as I did - I had a similar issue but quite different.

At one time we had purchased Entrust certificates to use for Encryption in Flight use between SQL Servers and some Oracle BI solutions. The database we were attempting to connect to had some old remnants of the expired certificate that was no longer being used. The thumbprint was not removed from the registry entry and the certificate was still present in the certificate store.

This was the reg key to remove the value of:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.InstanceName\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\

Key: Certificate

Once this was removed from the registry and the certificate was deleted (even though SQL was not using the certificate correctly) - I restarted the instance, and I was able to schedule refreshes through my Enterprise Gateway without issue.

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @dtran,

According to the error message, I found a similar thread here in which a solution was mentioned that go to 'Data Source Settings' then unchecked the 'encrypt connections' check box (for the data source). Could you go to check if it helps?Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi @dtran,

According to the error message, I found a similar thread here in which a solution was mentioned that go to 'Data Source Settings' then unchecked the 'encrypt connections' check box (for the data source). Could you go to check if it helps?Smiley Happy

Regards

-------------------------

This helped me.

I work with the on-premise version of Power BI Report Server (SSRS). 

Hi v-ljerr-msft,

I have tried that and I'm still getting the same error.

Any other feedback would be appreciated.

thanks!

I was able to resolve it by:

1) uninstalling on-premises data gateway

2) using Power BI - personal.

See here for solution: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Enterprise-gateway-quot-cannot-connect-to-the-mashup-data-so...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors