Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PaulW2
Frequent Visitor

at least one data source is missing credentials

Desktop Power BI does not have this problem.  

The service successfully refreshed several times then it started loosing credentials.  I would re-enter them (on the service) and it would refresh a few times then again forget the credentials.  Now It never refreshes.  

I have two data sources.  An excel file in OneDrive using the web address (not my desktop) and contitive text analyis at ...cognitiveservices.azure.com.  Again, both these refresh nicely on the desktop.    The service gives this error:

Last refresh failed: Fri Feb 26 2021 15:30:48 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time)
The refresh failed for this model. Expand the technical details for more info.Hide details

Data source error:It looks like scheduled refresh failed because at least one data source is missing credentials. To start the refresh again, go to this dataset's settings page and enter credentials for all data sources.

I then click on "edit credentials" and re-enter them.  (OAuth is the only one that works for me).  The credentials are the same for the two data sources.  Interestingly it only asks for one credential and it is for the It they says "successful" and yet the dataset is not refreshed.  If I click refresh the same error repeats.  

See images for the errors on the service.

1.  How do I solve this? 

2.  How to confirm that it is using the same credentials for both data sources on the server.  Desktop works.

3.  When publishing from desktop to server don't the credentials get passed?  Originally they must have for me but now it seems that data/reports/queries are passed but not credentials since they're not working.

Thanks.

PowerBI_Server_Credentials_Error1.PNG PowerBI_Server_Credentials_Error2.PNG PowerBI_Server_Credentials_Error3.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PaulW2,

Is your issue solved?

As a complement, you can also try this method.

Best Regards,

Link

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PaulW2,

Question1.

You can download the excel file and use the file path on the local computer as credentials.

Configure the credentials for another data source as usual.

And then check if it works.

Question2.

You can split the two data sources into two .pbix files and publish them separately and check if they work.

Question3.

If the datasource need to be configured gateway, you need to configure credentials on service.

If the datasource do not need to be configured gateway, the credentials get passed when publishing from desktop to service.

Best Regards,

Link

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors