Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jrbrow1

apply pro license to external user

Hello All -

Not sure if I am in the correct space or not. If not, please let me know.

Due to the PB Pro license requirement for shared dashboards we have purchased Pro licenses for some of out customers. A few weeks ago I was able to successfully apply a license to an o365 contact that was in our "active user" list with the name#EXT#@ourdomain.com. This allowed me to share the dashboard with the customer and they received the email at their own address. However they did need to login to PBI with the funky username and password. This was not a problem and allowe the to continue using there custome email for other shared services we provided. 

Now I am trying to do this again today with another contact it does not work. I cannot find the contact in our "active user " list and there seems to be no way of getting them in there. I seem to need them as an ?active user" to apply the license. I could create a user id for them of course but then they will not receive the email according to there contact setup. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance,

Jason

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@jrbrow1,

I share a SharePoint online site to a external user following the guide in this article. When the external user logs in the shared site, he is added to the Active users list in my Office 365 subscription, I can see that he is listed with #EXT# in his user name, and I am able to assign him Power BI Pro license.

Do you perform the above steps to apply Power BI Pro license to external users?

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks so much for your response!

Yes that does work, however I am wanting a solution that is independent of Sharepoint.

In this instance the user does not need access to a Sharepoint site. This seems to be a convoluted fix.

@jrbrow1,

I would recommend you contact Office 365 support to check if there are any methods to add external user in Active user list without the need to sign in shared sharepoint site or document for external user.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors