Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dparker
Frequent Visitor

app workspace icon

I am not seeing the icon I have associated with an app workspace in Power BI service. It does not show up when I see my list of workspaces and it does not show up on the App i published from that workspace. It shows up fine when I go to the Workspace through SharePoint Online.  Interestingly enought, when I joined the new App Workspace, I not a notification message in Power BI, and the Notification Message does have the icon.

Is this flaky behavior becasue Apps are still in Preview?

23 REPLIES 23
UOLandrewdale
Advocate II
Advocate II

I had an interesting situation. My team/group icons were not showing in Power BI Service Workspace list. Premier support said they had fixed something (didn't say what) and it was working again. They asked me to update an icon and it correctly showed in the workspace list, but I had to redeploy the APP for it to show on the APP's tile.

Subsequently, I added a photo to a group that did not have one before, and it showed up straight away. I did not like the photo so I deleted it from the group, and now none of the icons show up on my Power BI Workspaces list! I added the photo back in again, and all icons reappear. Deleted the photo and all icons disappear. Tried it with a second group icon and the same happens.

If a team or group never had an icon in the first place then it is ok, but if any team or group has had its icon deleted, then no icons show in the Power BI Workspaces list.

Try adding a simple icon to each team/group.

THANKS!

That was it, wow...just CRAZY.

If ANY workspace icon is "null" then it all falls apart.

Every single workspace must have an icon (or as you said never had their original deleted).

Glad that worked for you. Probably explains why when I first had the problem, one of my colleagues could see the icons but I could not, because he had a different list of groups to me and all his groups had icons or at least had not had any deleted, wheras some of the groups on my list had had their icons deleted.

Microsoft have just told me that the fix for this has just been rolled out. I have tested it and it works now i.e. all icons show in your workspace list even if one workspace has had its icon deleted.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

I have seen in some instances that it can take some time for the Icon to appear. I am not sure if it is a Power BI Service related issue?

Or a Browser caching issue.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Not a solution. Days have gone by. I've ensured I've flushed my borwser cache. 

That is not normal, as I have used it in the past with no issues.

You did change the Icon for the App Workspace by clicking on Members which links to an Office 365 Exchange Members?

Power BI Blog

Yes.  And I have done this more than once (i.e. different app worspaces, different apps).  I can not make it work. It seems that one of my colleagues can not make it fail.  But we both did exactly the same steps.

Ok I am unsure as it does work for me.

Just to confirm that your organization is using Exchange Online?

Power BI Blog

Yes. We have fully deployed O365 and are using it.

I am having the exact same issue.

I have multiple apps now I have published, I updated the icon in the member workspace, and it shows up there, but it won't show up in the deployed app.

Also in my list of workspaces in PowerBI it does NOT show any icons there...even though all have icons set.

So...I guess what is the deal?

Bump...still not working

Still not working for me too. Works fine for other people in my company. No clear pattern to this.

I have found that old apps created before August or in early July have kept their icons. New apps I create or try to update don't work with adding icons.

bump....

Bump... I have created new workspaces, changed their icons, but it still never syncs back to PBI and therefore I still cannot assign icons to any PBI workspace or deployed App....

Hi @OneWithQuestion

Do you have an Exchange License for Office 365?

I have done the steps and all my workspaces and apps are working as expected.

Power BI Blog

Yes. E3 to be precise

Hi @dparker

I am then not sure why it is not working.

Could you possibly check with your Office 365 Administrator?

Power BI Blog

I am the administrator, so it does not make a difference in that respect sadly.

It is not a permissions issue, it has something to do with how Power BI "syncs" data back from the workspaces that are created.

It does not always retrieve the icons, and it used to work fine until around... August of 2017.

EDIT:  I posted this to Issues a while back:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Apps-not-showing-icon-for-workspace/idi-p/255011

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors