Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

app.powerbi.com AWS RDS Postgres dataset

Hi all, We are moving to a Microsoft 365 E5 plan and I'm looking to bring Power BI Pro into our organization (because it's included with E5), but I'm running into issues connecting to RDS Postgres on AWS. I created a report using the desktop app and shared it to my workspace. I then went to app.powerbi.com to view the report and the dataset will not work. The error I see is:

Failed to update data source credentials: PostgreSQL: We were unable to find a database provider with invariant name 'Npgsql'.

I'm assuming there's no way to install that in the online application. Is there another way to connect to AWS RDS instances? Does Pro offer anything different? Also how will I go about letting the Power BI service through the RDS security group? I didn't find Power BI service IP addresses and the other posts that I found suggest that they may change weekly anyways.

Most of our data lives in AWS. I'm wondering if Power BI will be a good fit for us.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

In order to connect to the data, you will need to install an EC instance that has got network access to your PostgreSQL.

Once that is done you will then install the On-Premise Data Gateway and configure it to connect to the Power BI Service.

Once that is done, you can then create a data source in the Power BI Service which will then connect to the PostgreSQL

More details on the On-Premise data gateway can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

In order to connect to the data, you will need to install an EC instance that has got network access to your PostgreSQL.

Once that is done you will then install the On-Premise Data Gateway and configure it to connect to the Power BI Service.

Once that is done, you can then create a data source in the Power BI Service which will then connect to the PostgreSQL

More details on the On-Premise data gateway can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

We This doesn't seem to work. We have gateway installed on the same machine where also PBI Desktop is installed (latest version with npgsql package), and both manual or scheduled refreshes don't work with the same error about missing npgsql package.

Looks like it's missing somewhere on the MS hosts in the cloud

This is what I just did:

Capture.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors