Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SHHargrove
Advocate II
Advocate II

analyze in excel - RLS with Multiple Accounts

I'm having trouble changing accounts using Analyze in Excel with Power BI.

When I first establish a connection, it asks for user credentials and then successfully uses those credentials for RLS.

However, when I want to change the user as directed in the blog:

You can also select Profile from the Power BI ribbon tab in Excel, which identifies which account you're currently logged in with, and provides a link that lets you sign out (and subsequently, sign in with a different account).

Excel connects, tells me I'm using the new user, but RLS continues to  use the original credentials.

Is this a bug, are are we doing something wrong?

Stan

4 REPLIES 4
SagiS
Regular Visitor

Hi Stan,

This is the expected behavior when trying to access shared dataset from two different users and this is the situation here when you changed the user in Excel and then you tried to access the same dataset in Power BI.
The reason is that the library that makes the connection between Excel and Power BI use connection information from the cache to establish the connection that means it connect with the previous user credentials.
You can use one of the following to work around this behavior –
1. Close Excel and delete the cache file from your machine (C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\aadmsolapcache.dat)
2. Add the required user mail to the connection string – after sign out and sign in from the Power BI ribbon, go to Data menu , Queries & Connections, Connections, Connection Properties dialog, Definition tab and add the string: User id=<user mail>; in the beginning of the Connection string.

Sagi 

This may be the "expected" behavior, but not the documented behavior.

Puts a pretty big technical burden on our user community.

Can we get it changed?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still not "documented" 3+ years later, but the top secret undocumented location of the saved credentials for Excel to connect to the Power BI service (until they change it again) is:

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Protect

Delete that entire folder, and the next time you open Excel, you'll be asked to log in to Power BI again. It also clears a saved login if you're using OneDrive to sync with Windows, but whatever. 

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @SHHargrove,

I have reproduce the same issue on my environment. I will confirm with the Product Team to see if it is known limitation currently, or it is an issue that need to be fixed. And I will post back if I get any feedback. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors