Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

detlev
Helper I
Helper I

ability to export a new activity with Get-PowerBIActivityEvent: ViewReportPage

To better understand our users/ usage activities in PowerBI we would like to know which specific reporttab/ reportpage they view. Therefor it would be great to have ViewReportPage as an activity in the output of Get-PowerBIActivityEvent. It doesn't seem to be included in this export.

The default usage metrics dashboard however contains data for report pagesviews.When searching the O365 audit log in office.com 'Printed Power BI Report Page' can be selected. So I conclude that this 'Report page' data is stored somewhere.

But now I like to find a way to retrieve this via the Get-PowerBIActivityEvent commandlet.

5 REPLIES 5
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I think you should suggest it on ideas.powerbi.com because printed report page is not the same as view like you want. Printing is talking about paper. Both operations are in both scenarios. You can find all the operations available in this doc:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-auditing#operations-available-in-the-a...

Audit logs and activity logs are returning the same thing. 

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

There was an idea posted which is almost the same. But only 6 votes yet. So way to go!

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=f1a09461-07c9-eb11-ba5e-281878bdb01d

I was aware they are different activies. I did just mention it since they are releated and therefor it puzzels me even more that "view report page" is not included.

Do you have any idea where the default usage metrics dashboard *which contains a column for report pagesviews* retrieves its data from? Doesn't it use the auditlogs ?

I will post as an suggestion on ideas.powerbi.com. But before doing so I use this forum to be sure it really does not exist.

Hi @detlev ,

Report usage matrics allows us to see over time the number of views per report page. And you can custom your usage metrics report based on these data.

vkkfmsft_0-1629772099099.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Winniz, thanks for your response.

I would like to see the number of views per report page as the output of the Get-PowerBIActivityEvent cmdlet.

In this Get_PowerBIActivityEvent cmdlet of the MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt.Admin powershellmodule one can retrieve about 120 (+) activities (among others: ViewDashboardViewDashboard, ViewDataflowViewDataflow, ViewReportViewReport, ViewTileViewTile or ViewUsageMetricsViewUsageMetrics. But the one I mis is "number of views per report page"

I would like to see an extra activity being outputed: "number of views per report page".

I suggest we (MS) call it "ViewReportPage"

In other words: Like the Report usage metrics, where one can see the number of views per report page I would like to see the same in the Get_PowerBIActivityEvent output.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors