Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

sahilhira162
Advocate I
Advocate I

Your data source cannot be refreshed because the credentials are invalid

I have created a report and installed personal gateway on my system. I am extracting data from SQL Server, its working fine when I refresh in Power BI Desktop version but not in Power BI Online. I am getting error in my data credentials, which is the same credentials I use on SQL Server. Do I need to update it anywhere else as well. What changes should I make.?
"Your data source cannot be refreshed because the credentials are invalid"
PFA screenshot of my error.

Activity ID:3a84f4f9-6adc-64f0-8fff-8891d069f84e
Request ID:bb69b3e7-44fa-8609-3bd5-62462fc4dc72
Status code:400
Time:Tue Jul 11 2017 16:23:50 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time)
Version:13.0.1828.219
Cluster URI:https://wabi-us-north-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net

If I use the other option, other than basic authorization i.e. WindowsWithoutImpersonation, it solves the credential error problem but still doesn't refresh.
Any help is appreciated, thank in advance.

Regards,
Sahil

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @sahilhira162,

Does this credential error occur to other data sources, expect for SQL Server? Since the error points to invalid credentials, please make sure username and password used to sign into data sources are up to date. In Power BI, go to refresh settings for the dataset. In Manage Data Sources, click Edit credentials to update the credentials for the data source. Also, make sure the authentication type and credential used in desktop and service are same. Reference: Troubleshooting

As kcantor suggested in this similar thread, please update your gateway to latest version for a test and clear your browser history, cache, and cookies to start fresh.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

This forum is specific to Power BI Report Server On-Prem and not Power BI.com, if your having trouble with the gateway you can try the following:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/bd-p/power-bi-services

Hope this helps, thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors