Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Haya
Helper II
Helper II

Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid.

Dears,

for the first time I've created Pwoer BI report from sharepoint online list using power bi desktop, then publish it to power bi web

I'v downloaded personal gateway to keep the report updated and make scheduale refresh.

However, I've got this error after downloading the gateway 

"Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again."

I couln't even make manual refresh 

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found that my organization block the connection between thier Sharepoint and Power BI service for security reasons.

so it's nothing about Power BI.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Haya ,

Can you please provide more detail information to help us clarify your scenario? It is hard to troubleshoot without detail information:

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly  

Troubleshoot the on-premises data gateway#troubleshooting-tools 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

There is not a lot of information here to go on regarding how things are setup (i.e. M code used to pull the list, etc.), however, when we've used sharepoint online, there is no need to use a gateway and the credentials provided are of type oath when configuring in the service

Thanks for the reply.

If there is no need to use gateway when I'm using SharePoint online list, How can I configure refresh schedual?

HI @Haya ,

If you are using SharePoint folder/list connector to get data from SharePoint online, it still requires to use a gateway to handle refresh of these Datasource.(power bi will use connectors to import their data to power bi side, so you need to enable scheduled refresh and config correspond Datasource and credentials)

If you are work with web connector and connect to SharePoint online source file link, power bi will recognize it as cloudy datasoruce and use onedive refresh to manage this file.
For this scenario, you only need to update your credentials and enabled the refresh.
Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-shex-msft 

I'm using SharePoint list connector to get data from SharePoint online. So, what is the solution for enabling scheduale refresh and how can I edit the credetiontials?

Note that when I click edit credetials, these are the only options appear and it didn't work, there is no option for typing my credentials (email & Password)Screenshot (4)_LI.jpg

Hi @Haya ,

Based on my test, SharePoint online list supports OAuth authorities and not require the gateway to handle refresh options.

13.png

Any advanced operations in your query tables? (e.g. merge, combine, reference other connection mode data sources, invoke custom functions...) They will disable someone of authority modes.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

I tried to delete the personal gateway, now the "Schedual refresh" and "Data source credentials" options become gray !

Screenshot (6).png

Hi @Haya ,

Obviously, you are working with mixed Datasource. For your scenario, it still requires a getaway to handle refresh on permission data sources.

Data refresh in Power BI 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

@v-shex-msft  I'm not working with mutiple data source !

I'm working with Sharepoint online list only (Single list) 

I've tried again, following these steps"

1- Get Data from Sharepoint online list in Desktop power BI

2- Modeling & Visulize it.

3- Publish to Power BI Service , then going to setting and this is the resultdrop 5.PNG

HI @Haya ,

Current power bi contains multiple connectors for SharePoint data source, they have different connection modes.

On-premise connector: SharePoint list, SharePoint folder.  (your scenario)
For these connectors, you need to use a gateway to handle refresh option and you can't use OAuth mode authorization mode on these types of connectors.

Online connector: SharePoint online list. (my scenario) 

For this connector, it does not require a gateway to handle refresh and it is possible to use three authorization modes(anonymous, windows, OAuth) to configure data credentials.

Excel file connector: it is possible to point to an on-premise file or web URL.

If you connect to an on-premise file, it will link with on-premise mode and is similar to an On-premise connector. If you connect to root path of the network file, it will connect as online connector.

Hope above description can be helpful to clarify your scenario.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Many thanks @v-shex-msft  for your clarification.

So, I'm now returning back to the first point. After I installed on-premises gateway (personal mode), I've got this error.

"Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid."

edit credentials.PNG

Hi @Haya,

If you are work with an on-premise SharePoint connector and organization account, it is impossible to verify your credentials with OAuth mode. Maybe you can try to use the OData connector instead of the SharePoint connector.

Power BI: Two Way To Get Data From SharePoint List / Library 

Reads,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Dear @v-shex-msft I really appreciate your help.

I've used Odata feed, and I was able to type my organizational credetials. However, I've get the error below.

I'm so frustrated for loosing my time with this issue 😞 😞

InkedSCP -Odata_LI.jpg

I found that my organization block the connection between thier Sharepoint and Power BI service for security reasons.

so it's nothing about Power BI.

blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Use it as a web resource

The following link should be helpful, says one drive, but works for sharepoint as well

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-onedrive-business-links

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors