Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your Power BI Session Expired message

Hello,

I'm embedding Power BI tile into Dynamics 365 dashboard. The problem is, User A cannot view the tile. The message appeared like in the image. Every other user didn't face this problem. Just User A

"Your Power BI Session Expired, the current Power BI session can no longer be used to communicate with the Power BI service because of a service modification. You must close and re-open your browser to start a new session."

I have asked User A to do things like the message said, but still not working.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have solved the issue. Apparently it's actually a permission problem. I created the dashboard in my designated workspace (not My Workspace). In that workspace, I just knew that only certain users have the access and User A is not in it. So I published the report again (this time in My Workspace), and shared the report with User A. It works just fine after that. Also make sure the user has a Pro version.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
DubD
Frequent Visitor

Old thread, but I too was experiencing this issue intermittently with a SharePoint site that had several different PowerBI reports embedded in separate webparts.  When trying to resolve by regenerating a new URL for each webpart (open report, click on File, Embed Report, SharePoint Online) I noticed that the new URL was significantly shorter than the old one.  It looks like the old URL that was used in a webpart had groupid and config information where the newly generated URL did not.  The new URL only contained the reportid.

Once I updated all the webparts to use this new, shorter URL, we stopped receiving the "Your PowerBI session expired" message and the reports seemed to load faster.

Those old URLs were generated using the same steps above, but this was roughly two years ago so maybe something changed.  Regardless, may be worth removing anything from your embedded URL after the reportID value:

Old

https://app.powerbi.com/reportEmbed?reportId=<REPORT_ID_HERE>&groupId=<GROUP_ID_HERE>&config=<SOMETHING_LIKE_100_CHARACTERS_HERE> 

New

https://app.powerbi.com/reportEmbed?reportId=<REPORT_ID_HERE> 

Quentin
Helper III
Helper III

Hello there!
Facing the same issue again and again and again.... 
We have several reports in diferent workspace, each reports are shared to the list of users who should have access to them.
We embed a Portal report via embed in sharepoint. This "portal report" clasify all the other reports and provide the link to open them with a Embed in website or portal provided from the server.
Both ways are not working with the message error:

La sesión de Power BI ha expirado
La sesión de Power BI actual ya no se puede usar para comunicarse con el servicio Power BI debido a una modificación del servicio. Debe cerrar y volver a abrir su explorador para iniciar una nueva sesión

In english would be something like 
PowerBi session expired.
The actual powerBi session cannot be used now to communicate to the PowerBi service due to a change in the service. Must close and open again the browser to start a new session

Anonymous
Not applicable

My client is having the same issue. Haven't found anything wrong with the reports. My client and I are getting the message from an embedded Power BI report on SharePoint Online. Could there be something wrong with the service itself?

I am having the same issue as Sunde. It's been consistent for 2-3 days the workaround did not work. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the issue is still persists.

Looks like issue is more with Firefox/Safari browser where Power BI report page (embedded reports) is getting redirecting it to PowerBI landing/sign-in page which triggering error with given error. (we are using SharePoint to present report)

If I am making this "https://app.powerbi.com/?noSignUpCheck=1" as home page and saved the password in browser than issue looks like resolved.

BUT we have 100s of user and Many executives who uses Firefox as primary browser and I can't suggest them this as solution.

We should have solution from backend.

Any help will be highly appreciated. Please look into this.

Regards, Alok

Hi all, 

I implemented a workaround solution that seemed to work across all browsers. Originally on the sharepoint page I had ~12 powerBI web parts embedded. Limiting this down to two appeared to fix the issue. 

My company raised a ticket with Microsoft and they thought the issue was related to either:

a) too many requests from a sharepoint page / too many resources from web parts

b) using direct query and SSAS it may be related to the gateway

They are still actively investigating but that was my workaround that worked for executives. 

Does anyone know if it's possible to embed a PBI dashboard or tile in sharepoint? Ideally I could embed a dashboard with many live tiles and that would get around this limitation. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

We are having the same issue with singular reports embedded via an iFrame to a third party app (our online appraisal provider). These reports have not changed in any way and are in new workspaces and published apps.

I am logged in as myself to Power BI within Chrome and am getting the same error message below. The reports are out of date and not reflecting the live reports in the service.

I have raised a support ticket but this is urgent for us as we have 1000s of users who appraise via this online app and utilise the stats we embed via the Power BI report page, which is now not rendering.

"The current Power BI session can no longer be used to communicate with the Power BI service because of a service modification. You must close and re-open your browser to start a new session."

Hi,

I have the same issue as this one, did you manage to find out why the embedded reports were not reflecting the live changes that can be seen in the PowerBi Service?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I contacted support but we had to manually reupload reports to the workspace to generate new embed URLs. The fix was going to be applied mid-April but that was too late for us as we needed it for Q1 appraisal reporting.

The Microsoft patch fixed our issue.  We were using a sharepoint embedded report connected to SSAS with DirectQuery as an underlying source. But @Anonymous in talking to MSFT support they said that switching to import mode might be a temporary workaround and would help determine an issue with the gateway. Might be worth making sure your gateway is working 100% and see if anything is funky there. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @benDesigning. We're using Import mode already connected to an on-prem Oracle dwhs and the gateway is fully functional. 

The message doesn't appear when publishing and embedding the same report under a different name, e.g. suffixed with 'Test'.

What was the MS patch?

I hope this applies to your situation. I updated all of my embed links in sharepoint with the 'embed' option pulled while accessing the dashboard where users access the dashboard. (*IMPORTANT: I didn't use links while accessing reprorts in the workspace.) If your reports are not accessible in the app, select the naviation options when you publish so you can acess the reports to get the links. If you need navigation off, then turn it off during a second re-publish. It worked for me. 

I also noticed when I export PPTX files from the workspace the link goes to the workspace report which users cannot access. This explains why I am receiving permission requests from users who have permissions to the apps. 

The patch was done a few weeks ago, they had the details on https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/ but it's gone now. Not sure if there's a historical record of all the statuses on that setvice page but there *should* be. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems to work when republishing the report with a different name and reembedding. How can I fix the initially embedded and published report?

As we don't want to do that for every country/region that has a different appraisal form/report every quarter!

Would appreciate any help or advice from the community.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have solved the issue. Apparently it's actually a permission problem. I created the dashboard in my designated workspace (not My Workspace). In that workspace, I just knew that only certain users have the access and User A is not in it. So I published the report again (this time in My Workspace), and shared the report with User A. It works just fine after that. Also make sure the user has a Pro version.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Glad to hear that. Please accept your reply as a solution so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

Best Regards,

Icey

the issue is not solved

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors