Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cplesner
Helper III
Helper III

You don't have permission to connect to datasets in the Power BI service

I get this error when opening a workbook (someone else made), that connects to a Dataset in th ePowerBI Service. The dataset is in a workspace that i have access to, and i'm in the security role on the dataset as well.

Still i get this error

Details: "You don't have permission to connect to datasets in the Power BI service. Your administrator has disabled this feature. Please contact your administrator to enable it."

14 REPLIES 14
Obi_Wan

So I encountered this issue today. It appears to be linked to the tenant setting of:

Obi_Wan_0-1676060754432.png

Please ensure you are either in the subset selection or have it enabled for entire organization in order to connect live to datasets.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue with a report and I cannot access it.  Could you please help me with it?

gabrielaciolacu_0-1657183984156.png

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @cplesner,

Could you please mark the proper answer as solution or share the solution if it's convenient for you? That will be a big help to the others.

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @cplesner,

1. Did you open the Workbook in the Power BI Service as a workbook online or open it in the local machine?

2. Did you connect to Power BI Service through Power BI publisher?

3. Could you please post snapshots of this error?You don't have permission to connect to datasets in the Power BI service.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dale

Sorry its a PowerBI workbook. There is a dataset that i created and published to the PowerBI service a while ago. Yesterday i created a new PowerBI workbook in PowerBI Desktop where i connected to the PowerBI Service Dataset i published some while ago. I then send that PowerBI PBIX to a colleague to finish, but he then gets this error

Details: "You don't have permission to connect to datasets in the Power BI service. Your administrator has disabled this feature. Please contact your administrator to enable it."

Hi @cplesner,

It seems the dataset is in an App workspace. Maybe your colleague only have view permission. I can't reproduce your issue. Only get this error message. And there is no such settings about enabling this feature. Could you please post a snapshot about this error.

You don't have permission to connect to datasets in the Power BI service2.JPG

Best Regards!

Dale

Hi dale

the users are members on the workspace with Members can edit rights assigned. I'll try a few more times (deploy model, create new powerBI workbook, connect to PBI Service, deploy, send copy to new user, login as new user, try do edit/connect)

I am having a simialar issue.

Hi @aswenson84,

Could you please share some snapshots?

Best Regards!

Dale

The user have edit permission to the workbook

error.gif

Hi @cplesner

Hi @aswenson84

Do you have the latest version of Desktop?

Best Regards!

Dale

Yes, and if they login with my credentials on their machine - it works so somehow the workbook is encoded with only allowing my credentials

Hi @cplesner

Hi @aswenson84

The cause is your admins have disabled "Export Data" in the Admin portal. If you want it, please ask your admins to enable it. There will be a better error message in the new version in the near future. Please reference: powerbi-admin-portal/#export-and-sharing-settings.

>>>

Note:

Disabling Export Data will also prevent users from using the Analyze in Excel feature, as well as using the Power BI service live connection.

Best Regards!

Dale

I am having a simialar issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors