Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ngtrinh
Employee
Employee

You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because the following data sources currently don't suppo

Hello, 

For the last few days, PowerBI Service won't refresh my dataset and give me this error: 

"You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because the following data sources currently don't support refresh:

• Data source for Query1

Query contains unsupported function. Function name: Resource.Access"

The "Gateway Connection" and "Data source credentials" disappears as well. 

My setup is that I use personal data gateway to allow for Python script in my query to automatic refresh in PowerBI Service. I use Import Data mode. Automatic scheduled refresh on PowerBI Service has been working with this dataset for a long time until recently. I also have the latest Personal Data Gateway update (Oct 2022)

What I notice is that now if I remove Python script task in my query and republish, PowerBI Service will show all the data source credentials and allow for automatic refresh again.

Has anything changed in PowerBI  Service that no longer allows for automatic refresh for Python script? Power BI data sources - Power BI | Microsoft Learn from this list it looks like it's still supported. 

Please let me know if I can provide any more information to help root cause this. Thank you!

ngtrinh_1-1668634783591.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

quick update: so there is a fix being rolled out and resolved the issue on my end (specifically for report with Python connection). Hopefully the roll out for all envs/clusters will complete soon and address yours as well.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

I'm still having issues with scheduling a refresh using my personal gateway for a report that uses a python script as the data source. 

I'm close to abandoning this option and moving to another solution on a different platform as this problem has been ongoing for almost 3 months now (since mid-dec 2022).

Anyone else facing this issue?  I would hate to abadon this as it was working so well for me for several months prior.

thanks

Here is the result of my latest attempt:

• created a power bi report from scratch using a python connector
  • published it
  • attempted to refresh it and got this message:
    • Unable to determine the data source due to unknown functions. When custom connectors are used, the error can happen if gateway doesn't have the extension enabled. Details: Query contains unknown function name: Python.Execute.
      Data source for Query1

Hello, I have the same issue as of 11/08/2023, and I don't know how to resolve it. I've read on several forums that I should use the gateway in personal mode, but I can't seem to fix it. In my case, I'm using a Python script that returns a dataframe with the information. If I update it locally, it works, and the data loads, allowing me to publish. However, if I try to schedule it, I get the same error as you. Have you managed to solve it, or did you eventually choose another option? If you opted for another solution, could you please share how you did it?

Thank you very much

Just wanted tor report that this issue now appears to be fixed.  As of April 1st, 2023 my published reports with Python connectors are refreshing again on a daily set schedule. Thank you!

Not for me...

I am still getting this:

AmirKatz_0-1680501789801.png

As of today (Feb 25, 2023) the problem with the Python connector still exists.  The refresh fails with this message:

You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because the following data sources currently don't support refresh:
Data source for Query1

The connection is via a Personal Gateway.

I have reviewed the requirements/restrictions as posted by Caitlyn from Microsoft in this thread (thanks, very useful!), and the only external package my script is using is Pandas, which, of course, is the foundation of the Python scripting in Power BI.

So, as of today (Jan. 25, 2023), the problem with Python scripts in a query still exists.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ngtrinh ,

There are a handful of requirements and limitations for Python packages:

• Current Python runtime: Python 3.7.7.
  • The Power BI service, for the most part, supports Python packages with free and open-source software licenses such as GPL-2, GPL-3, MIT+, and so on.
  • The Power BI service supports packages published in PyPI. The service does not support private or custom Python packages. Users are encouraged to make their private packages available on PyPI prior to requesting the package be available in the Power BI service.
  • For Python visuals in Power BI Desktop, you can install any package, including custom Python packages.
  • For security and privacy reasons, Python packages that provide client-server queries over the World-Wide Web in the service, are not supported. Networking is blocked for such attempts.
  • The approval process for including a new Python package has a tree of dependencies; some dependencies required to be installed in the service cannot be supported.

Please make sure you’ve installed the correct one.

Learn which Python packages are supported - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Caitlyn,

Your post is very helpful, thanks for that.

However, I do not think it qualifies as the Accepted Solution for this specific question.

For some of the people on this thread (like myself), the refresh was working before and now it is broken.

I would suggest that you re-post your comments under a new question: "Reasons why a report which contains a query with Python script cannot be refreshed in the web"

Hi Team,

I am also facing the same issue from yesterday (12/2/2022). Anyone got any solution for this, much appreciated if you can share this

Thanks a lot

Sunil

Thanks Caitlyn for the pointers! 

I did use Python 3.7.7 and the Python packages are published in PyPI. It was a bit odd because it used to work fine until recently (around Nov 15th week). 

Note that I can also repro the issue by following this tutorial from PowerBI doc, using the provided pbix and csv file in the tutorial: 

Using Python in Power BI Power Query Editor - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors