Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ngtrinh
Employee
Employee

You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because the following data sources currently don't suppo

Hello, 

For the last few days, PowerBI Service won't refresh my dataset and give me this error: 

"You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because the following data sources currently don't support refresh:

• Data source for Query1

Query contains unsupported function. Function name: Resource.Access"

The "Gateway Connection" and "Data source credentials" disappears as well. 

My setup is that I use personal data gateway to allow for Python script in my query to automatic refresh in PowerBI Service. I use Import Data mode. Automatic scheduled refresh on PowerBI Service has been working with this dataset for a long time until recently. I also have the latest Personal Data Gateway update (Oct 2022)

What I notice is that now if I remove Python script task in my query and republish, PowerBI Service will show all the data source credentials and allow for automatic refresh again.

Has anything changed in PowerBI  Service that no longer allows for automatic refresh for Python script? Power BI data sources - Power BI | Microsoft Learn from this list it looks like it's still supported. 

Please let me know if I can provide any more information to help root cause this. Thank you!

ngtrinh_1-1668634783591.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

quick update: so there is a fix being rolled out and resolved the issue on my end (specifically for report with Python connection). Hopefully the roll out for all envs/clusters will complete soon and address yours as well.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
rebeccahare17
Advocate I
Advocate I

I am still having this issue.

I am unable to schedule a refresh using my personal gateway for a report that uses a python script as the data source.  Are others still running into this problem?

zeroSPace33
Frequent Visitor

I have tested a few of my datasets that included python code and it has started working again. It seems this issue is fixed for me, Thank you!

learner03
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Same issue at my end

zeroSPace33
Frequent Visitor

I had a meeting with an MS Engineer today. He captured quite a bit of information about the issue. (I was able to remove any traces of Python scripts within a test pbix file to show that it publishes and refreshes on a schedule without it. And then demonstrated the error when I added the python step back into the power query steps.)

A few hours passed and I received an email stating that this behavior may be addressed in an incoming release: 11.4. I've been asked to test it out again on Monday and get back to them with the outcome.

Hopefully that's accurate. I'll keep you posted.

tried to refresh using cloud power bi today and it works, thank you.

Dvack

Hi, 

Same issue here with an IRIS ODBC connection

zeroSPace33
Frequent Visitor

I too am experiencing this issue. It wasn't an issue until a few days ago.

I've opened a ticket with Microsoft. Hopefully a support engineer can help me understand what might be happening.

mb769
Frequent Visitor

I have the exact same issue.
Using Python to connect to the data source and refresh with a Personal Gateway. This worked smoothly until yesterday: the scheduled refresh suddenly gave an error message: There is no available gateway.

Reinstalling the personal gateway only made things worse; I don't see the "Gataway connection" etc. anymore, and this error message appears.

Has a workaround been found already?

agosavi

Facing the same issue, updated PBIX no longer refreshes.

You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because the following data sources currently don't support refresh:

Discover Data Sources

Query contains unsupported function. Function name: Resource.Access

Please fix asap.

nesselman
Helper I
Helper I

Same exact issue, but I'll toss a little more in the problem description.

1) It only impacts Refreshes that have been Published AFTER 12/2

2) It Refreshes fine on Desktop

3) Anything Published before 12/2 (for me that is the date I noticed it) continues to Auto Refresh

4) It is isolated to a 3rd party ODBC Connector from CData that is not new (been using for 3 years)

5) We use qty of 3 Connectors from CData - they all have the same issue

6) MySQL, Web, Native Google Analytics all work

Failure: You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because the following data sources currently don't support refresh:Discover Data SourcesQuery contains unsupported function. Function name: Resource.Access

Error:

Data source error: Unable to refresh the model (id=4733772) because it references an unsupported data source.

Cluster URI: WABI-US-CENTRAL-A-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Activity ID: 8ff35269-b966-43b3-9294-71c1744d5d1c

Request ID: 1fe50938-0308-37cc-d14e-1f253f888bfe

Time: 2022-12-06 08:10:07Z

peijuan
Frequent Visitor

i encounter the same problem as well, please help..

CMillheisler
Advocate II
Advocate II

Same issue. Same error.

What's currently out there works. Anything new uploaded to the service is having this problem.

I'm not using python, I'm using "BI Connector" to connect to an OBIEE data warehouse. 

dax_bi
Helper I
Helper I

The same issue. With the same error message.

Kletzy
Advocate III
Advocate III

I'm having exactly the same issue

rebeccahare17
Advocate I
Advocate I

I am experiencing the same issue.  Did you find a solution? 

I haven't yet, but I have contacted support on this issue and it's being looked at. I can provide an update once it's root caused, hopefully soon.

That would be great, thank you!

quick update: so there is a fix being rolled out and resolved the issue on my end (specifically for report with Python connection). Hopefully the roll out for all envs/clusters will complete soon and address yours as well.

Hi,

I am also using personal gateway and was trying to schedule the refresh but I am still getting the same error that it is not supported.

could you please confirm how did you resolved the issue?

Regards, Tauceef

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors