Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dlesandrini
Regular Visitor

You Don't Have Any Data Gateways

A couple months ago I installed the On-Premises Data Gateway (NOT Personal Version) using a Power BI Admin account named something like PowerBiAdmin@xxx.gov.  It worked fine, until last week when I was prompted to update my Data Gateway.  After that, it went wanky.

After uninstalling and reinstalling, the On-Premesis Data Gateway on the server appears to be working correctly.  No errors.  Diagnostics are clean.  But when I log into PowerBI.com and go to Manage Gateways, it read "You Don't Have Any Data Gateways" and the only option given is to download and install a gateway.

I uninstalled from ServerA and reinstalled on ServerB, but that didn't help.  I changed the name of the Data Gateway and that didn't help.  I logged in my my Office365 Admin account and that didn't help.  It just won't show up.  Has anyone seen anything like this before?  Any idea what to try next?  

Little Update:  The Gateway DOES show up in my Power Apps Gateway list ... but NOT in my Power BI Gateways.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It is resolved, but now I understand what was happening.

There are 2 different PowerBI websites.  One for government … and another for everyone else … except that I can log into both with my Pima County email address.  Once logged on, I am given no clue which one I’m in.

https://app.powerbigov.us/

https://app.powerbi.com/

The gateway was there the whole time, but only visible to the GOV site.  If/when I log onto the correct Power BI site, I see my gateway.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Could it be that you need to install/ update the Gateway with your own user account?

Or if that does not work, log into the server with your PowerBIAdmin@xxx.gov and then update the gateway?

The user account that installs the gateway by default will be the owner.

You might have to log into the Power BI Service with your Power BI Admin account and then assign your personal account under Users for the Gateway. This will allow you to see and use the Gateway.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

I've installed with both users, the PowerBIAdmin and my personal Admin account.  In both cases, the Gateway shows up under Data >> Gateways in the Power Apps page.  But NOT in the Power BI >> Manage Gateways page.  Weird!

Good idea to assign Users, but as it turns out, you can't assign users if you can't see the Gateway.  I assume, like you mentioned, that whoever signs in with the gateway is automatically an Admin user and then others may be assigned as admins.  That's what I did two months ago when I installed the OLDER version of On-Premises Data Gateway.  It's the current version that is not working.  I guess I could wait for the next version to come out.  I read they release new versions 6 times a year.

@dlesandrini 

Usually that issue happens with Personal Gateway, but you are using on premiese gateway so I would recommend you to create a support ticket for deeper investigation.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

It is resolved, but now I understand what was happening.

There are 2 different PowerBI websites.  One for government … and another for everyone else … except that I can log into both with my Pima County email address.  Once logged on, I am given no clue which one I’m in.

https://app.powerbigov.us/

https://app.powerbi.com/

The gateway was there the whole time, but only visible to the GOV site.  If/when I log onto the correct Power BI site, I see my gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors