Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Roseventura
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Yes or No: Can someone monitor Dashboards I published while I'm on vacation?

I've been searching all day and I can't seem to find a simple answer to this question. 

NOTE:  We are not yet using the Power BI Pro version (although that's coming very soon), so we're only using the FREE version.

I have created and published reports (PBIX) to a Dashboard which I shared with several people. One of these people is my manager.

I was trying to show my manager how to check the refresh history, how to manually refresh and just monitor things while I'm gone.  But when they log in using their credentials, they cannot see the datasets, so they can't get to any of the Data Sets Settings, nor can they get to "Manage Gateway."

If something goes wrong like a report didn't refresh, am I to assume that no one beside myself can get to the Settings for my reports to try to refresh or diagose issue?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

Not with the free version no. With Pro if you are using a group workspace this is possible.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

Thank you for your direct answer! 

My manager and I are both using Power BI under a Pro Trial license.  I was able to create a Workspace group which I assume I would not have been able to do without the Pro Trial license.  Also, I would not have been able to "share" my dashboard with anyone if I (and others I shared with) didn't have the Pro Trial license. 

I have just learned that in order to make a dashboard available to a Workspace Group, I have to publish my reports to this group. This raises more questions:

1.  What happens to the dashboard I already created under "My Workspace"?  Is this separate even though the reports are the same?   YES

2.  After I publish my reports to the new Workspace Group, do I then have to re-add all the datasets to that group?  NO

3.  Do I have to create a new refresh schedule also?   YES

4.  In other words, are the reports treated as SEPARATE even though they are exactly the same under "My Workspace"?  YES

5.  Do I need to add my end users to this new Workspace Group (in other words, re-share the dashboards)?  I only want IT colleagues in the group as they will be monitoring the refreshes, etc. I prefer to have the end users of the dashboard not be in this group.   NO JUST SHARE DASHBOARDS WITH THEM, DON'T ADD AS GROUP MEMBERS.

I'm just trying to understand how Workspace Groups work in this instance.  Is a Workspace Group just a list of names that have access to anything I publish (inside or outside the group)  ONLY WITH REGARD TO THE DATA SETS, or are the dashboards inside a group treated as separate entities totally disconnected from the datasets and refresh schedules I have set up under My Workspace?  CONNECTED TO THE DATA SETS ALREADY ADDED, BUT REFRESH SCHEDULES ARE SEPARATE.

Thanks,

Rose

I WAS ABLE TO ANSWER MY OWN QUESTIONS (IN BOLD ABOVE). 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

Not with the free version no. With Pro if you are using a group workspace this is possible.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thank you for your direct answer! 

My manager and I are both using Power BI under a Pro Trial license.  I was able to create a Workspace group which I assume I would not have been able to do without the Pro Trial license.  Also, I would not have been able to "share" my dashboard with anyone if I (and others I shared with) didn't have the Pro Trial license. 

I have just learned that in order to make a dashboard available to a Workspace Group, I have to publish my reports to this group. This raises more questions:

1.  What happens to the dashboard I already created under "My Workspace"?  Is this separate even though the reports are the same?   YES

2.  After I publish my reports to the new Workspace Group, do I then have to re-add all the datasets to that group?  NO

3.  Do I have to create a new refresh schedule also?   YES

4.  In other words, are the reports treated as SEPARATE even though they are exactly the same under "My Workspace"?  YES

5.  Do I need to add my end users to this new Workspace Group (in other words, re-share the dashboards)?  I only want IT colleagues in the group as they will be monitoring the refreshes, etc. I prefer to have the end users of the dashboard not be in this group.   NO JUST SHARE DASHBOARDS WITH THEM, DON'T ADD AS GROUP MEMBERS.

I'm just trying to understand how Workspace Groups work in this instance.  Is a Workspace Group just a list of names that have access to anything I publish (inside or outside the group)  ONLY WITH REGARD TO THE DATA SETS, or are the dashboards inside a group treated as separate entities totally disconnected from the datasets and refresh schedules I have set up under My Workspace?  CONNECTED TO THE DATA SETS ALREADY ADDED, BUT REFRESH SCHEDULES ARE SEPARATE.

Thanks,

Rose

I WAS ABLE TO ANSWER MY OWN QUESTIONS (IN BOLD ABOVE). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors