Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NoodleCat
Frequent Visitor

XMLA endpoints and incremental refesh

fun thing we just learned and thought I'd share

we have incremental refresh set up with 10 day refresh and 60 month retention. I chose 60 months and not 5 years so the partitions would be months and not years. The filter on the incremental refresh table was set to > RangeStart and <= RangeEnd. When we needed to reload some historical monthly partitions the first day of each month was missing. BECAUSE THE FILTER LOGIC ON THE INCREMENTAL IS INVOKED. We changed our filter to be >= RangeStart and <= RangeEnd and voila! first day of the calendar month exists.

we have incremental refresh and aggregate tables working well - if you're struggling, @ me and maybe I had the same trouble 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Happy to help!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Thanks for sharing

Just note that there could potentially be an overal with the <= RangeEnd because when the code is used in the PBI Service the RangeEnd is always the first day of the next month. THis is so that it does not have to factor in the end days of each and every month

With your logic it would then overlap the first day of the month twice, because the <= RangeEnd would be <= 20210501 for the Monday of Apr 2021, and when you then do it for the Month of May the RangeStart would be 20210501 and the Range End would be 20210601

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

THANK YOU for the note about the first of the month.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors