Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chaz2jerry
Advocate III
Advocate III

XMLA endpoint usage by external user

According to the article below, we can have external users connect to XMLA endpoint of premium datasets.  So in theory we can use Tableau desktop, connect to a shared dataset as directquery / live connection (similar to AAS/SSAS) and create reports.  

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/troubleshoot-xmla-endpoint

So I have conducted a test with an external user, using Tableau Desktop (as the external tool) to connect to the XMLA endpoint, but connection is unsuccessful.  Can anyone share their experience and more insight to this use scenario?  Following is the config I used:

• External user info:
    • user has regular email "john.doe@externalcompany.com"
    • user has guest email "john.doe_externalcompany.com#EXT#@myorg.onmicrosoft.com" in our AAD.  Note the "myorg.onmicrosoft.com" is our tenant name.   
    • the guest user's account has been assigned Premium-Per-User (PPU) free trial license in our "myorg" tenant.  
    • the guest user is also added to the "external user can edit content" security group in tenant admin settings.
  • Premium content info:
    • The PBI dataset is published to a Premium-Per-User workspace.
  • Tableau desktop connection info:
    • The user used Microsoft Analaysis Service connector, and installed the two related drivers in advance.
    • For server address, using XMLA endpoint address "powerbi://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg.onmicrosoft.com/test PPU" from the PPU workspace info.
    • we tested two authentication options:
      • Test 1: used "john.doe@externalcompany.com" for username,  and the user's normal O365 password.
      • Test 2: used "john.doe_externalcompany.com#EXT#@myorg.onmicrosoft.com" for username,  and the user's normal O365 password.
2 REPLIES 2
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @chaz2jerry ,

I do not know much about XMLA but I did find these two articles about how this should be working.  Let us know if that helped!

Power BI open-platform connectivity with XMLA endpoints public preview | Microsoft Power BI Blog | M...

“Live” Web Services Connections in Tableau | Tableau and Behold!

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Thanks @collinq  I checked the two articles but they don't seem to solve my scenario.  The first article includes documentation for XMLA Endpoint, but doesn't specify how to connect to it from external B2B user.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors