Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arndtvissing
Frequent Visitor

XMLA endpoint Integrated Security Error

Hi community.

Im getting an error when trying to connect to Power BI XMLA endpoint in SSMS 18.1. The endpoint is working fine in Excel.

When i conncet to the XMLA endpoint in SSMS and try and "browse" the cube, i get the following error in SSMS 

"For AS AZure connetions, if 'integrated security' connection string property is set to 'SSPI' then 'UseADALCache' connection string property cannot be specified"

my connnection string looks like this:

powerbi://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/test XMLA

5 REPLIES 5
saini_chandni
Regular Visitor

Hi,

We faced same error in SSMS v18.4 but then we upgraded ssms v18.5.1 and error is no more there and we are able to browse the cube.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am facing precisely this same issue and I have tested across multiple Power BI models (other than using SSMS V18.4 rather than 18.1).

I connect to a Power BI model in Power BI Premium Capacity using a very simple connection string with no extra parameters of the form: powerbi://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/my-workspace-name

I can connect and see the databases and tables and can open a DAX query and 'EVALUATE' a table and see its contents.  All looks fine until I right-click a database and choose "Browse...".  I then get the error previously reported:

For AS Azure connections, if 'Integrated Security' connection string property is set to 'SSPI' then 'UseADALCache' connection string property cannot be specified.

2020-03-11_17-09-07.png

This post has been dormant with no answer for a while - anyone have more information on this situation?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arndtvissing ,

According to your error message, It seems like your connection string contains some properties strings which xmla endpoint does not recognized.
I'd like to suggest you remove mentioned property and try again.
BTW, you can also take a look at following links about power bi xmla endpoint features:

Power BI open-platform connectivity with XMLA endpoints public preview

What Is the XMLA Endpoint for Power BI and Why Should I Care?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

thanks. but my connection string is like below:

powerbi://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/test XMLA

I do not specify any properties besides the path given by powerbi service

arndtvissing
Frequent Visitor

and just to confirm, the workspace im connection to is on Premium, and I am Admin of that workspace

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors