Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Eugene_Ov
Helper I
Helper I

XMLA dataset refresh timeout

Hi,

I'm using XML/A endpoint and when trying to run Process Database, constantly get error 'The connection either timed out or was lost.' Database in this case doesn't process.

I'm on A1 tier, when upgraded to A4, everything runs faster and timeout doesn't appear.

Any info on timeout interval?

Eugene

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Eugene_Ov 

The only other thing I can think of is that your model uses more memory than required on the A1 SKU, and that is why it works on an A4 SKU which has significantly more memory during the refresh.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Eugene_Ov 

This would appear that on the lower SKU you do not have enough CPU's to process the data within the timeout (which defaults to 2 hours)

I would suggest looking at incremental refreshing of your dataset which will only process the last N number of days instead of the entire dataset?

Here are more details on how to complete the incremental refreshing: Incremental refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ 

No, that's not the case. I receive this error only after 15 or 20 minutes of processing.

Eugene

Hi @Eugene_Ov ,

Check with your admin whether the setting of XLMA endpoint for A1 capacity has been set to 1?

v-kelly-msft_0-1611213681680.png

Below is the related reference:

https://radacad.com/what-is-the-xmla-endpoint-for-power-bi-and-why-should-i-care

Best Regards,
Kelly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors