Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

XML parsing works in Desktop but fails on gateway

When importing an XML file from SharePoint 2010, I have no issues on the Desktop version but as soon as it hits the gateway, I have parsing errors.

Message: Xml processing failed. Either the input is invalid or it isn't supported. (Internal error: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 52, position 72.) Table: Mod Props Titles.
Cluster URI: WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: [removed]
Request ID: [removed]
Time: 2018-12-13 15:49:35Z

MessageXml processing failed. Either the input is invalid or it isn't supported. (Internal error: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 52, position 72.) Table: Mod Props.
Cluster URIWABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID [removed]
Request ID [removed]
Time2018-12-13 16:26:19Z

I have seen this issue happening with users since 2016 and no solution in sight, so can someone please shed some light into it? Something tells me it breaks due to special characters on the text fields, but shouldn't it break on the desktop version too? If this is the case, how can I remove or replace the " or & characters before the parsing stage?

Thanks for your help.

@ms Staff, I can provide activity ID and request ID for log tracing if necessary.

4 REPLIES 4
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

How about specifying the encoding explicitly with

= Xml.Document(File.Contents("C:\...\WrongDemo.xml"), TextEncoding.Unicode) 

In Queries Editor->Advanced editor.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-juanli-msft Maggie, thanks for your prompt reply.

My current query is:

= Xml.Tables(Web.Contents("[webpage address removed]"),null,65001)

Which works on Desktop. Changing to this code resulted in:

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value 1200 to type Record.
Details:
    Value=1200
    Type=Type

I also tried keeping ",null,TextEncoding.Unicode" as it requires the encoding to be passed on the third parameter and that returned the following:

DataFormat.Error: Xml processing failed. Either the input is invalid or it isn't supported. (Internal error: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.)
Details:
    Binary

Hi,

I have the same issue , Wondering if you found a solution.

Thanks in advance

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, I have not. Microsoft offered no support following the last message on this topic.

As a workaround, I am linking the data source onto an Excel sheet that uses a data connection, but it has to be refreshed manually. Not a problem as my reporting happens only once on Monday, but for multiple refreshes a day it doesn't work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors