Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

Wrong Currency Symbol - SSAS MD

Hello,

I have some calculated fields in SSAS MD cube and give the format as currency. When I developed the report in Desktop, it shows the $ (Dollar Sign) as symbol but after I published the report PowerBI Service, it is showing sterling pound currency symbol. Not sure what I need to do to change the symbol.

Just to add, you cannot do anything with data model when using SSAS MD.

One solution I can think of is to change the format from "Currency" to something like this "$#,##0.00;-$#,##0.00", not sure if it will fix. 

Any solution or it is just a bug?

Thanks,

P

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

8 REPLIES 8
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

You can try setting the Locale to something and see if that works.

From Power BI Desktop, File -> Options and Settings -> Options -> Data Load

And set the Locale to something there and see how that works.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hello,

I tried but no success. Changed it to "English (United States)", I read the little blurb by hovering to (i) next to Locale label and it shows that "Regional setting used to interpret number, date, etc... in imported text from the file". So based on it I'm assuming this locate setting is not doing anything when I'm using currency from SSAS.

Thanks,

Parvinder

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Are you importing the data from SSAS or using live connect?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Live connect 

Hi

DId you get a solution to this?  I'm getting weird formating and incorrect results from my cube via liveconnect.   It's not displaying currency measures as correctly formatted values.

Hey sorry for the late reply, as far as I remember, formatting worked fine, and now don't remember what was the fix, most likely it was on Cube side. Sorry for not having clear information. Let me know if you want me to dig further into it at my end.

Thanks,

P

Hello, I have the same issue. Do you remember what was the fix?

Problem is SSAS DAXMD is broken and there is no commitment by Microsoft to fix the issue. 

Cell level value formatting is currently not supported in Power BI.  This is documented in the "Limitations of SSAS Multidimensional Models in Power BI Desktop" section of https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-ssas-multidimensional/

The only workaround is to potentially create a calculated member of your measure with the correct format.  

CREATE MEMBER Measures.[Measure1] AS Measures.[Measure1_copy],

FORMAT_STRING = "$#,##0.00;-$#,##0.00",

It means duplicating your measure but it seems to work for us.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors