Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sebbyp
Helper III
Helper III

Would like to share to somebody outside organisation the dashboard only and with no other access

Can anybody help me please? I would like to share a dashboard to somebody outside my organisation and for this user to have access to the dashboard only. I have sensitive information in the report and sensitive formula calculations in the datatables in the report which I don't want the user to see.
How can i restrict the user just to the chart and/or information visible on the dashboard only?
7 REPLIES 7
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @sebbyp,

Have you resolved your issue? If you have, please mark the helpful or right reply as answer. So that more people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

@sebbyp First, the external user will need a Pro license, and you will too.

What you can do is pin the visuals from the report to the dashboard. On "Each" tile, you need to click on the "..." in the upper right and select the pencil icon for "tile details", then under "Functionality" check the "Set custom link". Then make sure that the "Link Type" is  set to "External Link". Scroll down and the URL value field will be enabled. You can take the URL of the dashboard and input it there. Under "Open custom link in hte same tab" -> set to "Yes"

When the end user clicks on the tile the page will appear to refresh but won't go anywhere. In this manner, you can restrict access to the underlying reports. However, if your dataset supports Q&A, the user would have access to interrogate your dataset by asking questions, so be aware of that.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_BauerMy dashboards are mainly filled with pinned live pages and the custom link functionality is greyed out.  This is an issue i believe with your work around?

@sebbyp Correct. But now I'm confused. You are in essence, already showing them the report page. This is the exact same view they would have if you shared the dashboard and they drilled down. They only get "read only" they can't see your model, calculations, dataset, etc... they can only see what you show them and the filters.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauerthats true but here's the problem i have.  I have a report which has a different tab for each country we are analysing.  The dashboards focus on a specific country and i want to limit the sharing to just this country specific dasboard as the information for other countries is sensitive. 

If the user gets access to the whole report they can then see the other country tabs.

Does that make sense?

@sebbyp Yep, makes sense. I'm not aware of any way within the Service to do this. You'll have to break out the reports to only show the single tab they can see... This falls under RLS for tabs idea, the idea can be voted up here

@Seth_C_Bauerok thanks.  I have done as you have suggested.  Alternatively, just sharing the dashboard and nothing behind the dashboard would be the perfect solution.  You would think it would be quite simple to do.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors