Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

calimero48
Helper II
Helper II

Worskspace dataset cross security

Hi

I have a workspace WS1 with a dataset. 

This dataset has users with security granted viewer/Build and others with viewer right.

I have created a report in another workspace WS2  using the data from the dataset located in workspace WS1 with the right of viewer for all users.

If the user has only the right viewer on WS1, he cannot show data ( Data coming from dataset in WS1).

If the user has viewer/build on WS1 he can display the visual ( Data coming from dataset in WS1)

Why the users need build to display the content?

The problem is that users are able to create new visual from Dataset in workspace WS1, that we do not want to allow.

Do you have a solution for this or it’s as …

Thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @calimero48 ,

Dataset is the same permissions for each user in the different workspaces. You can see this by looking at the manage permissions of the dataset. What I mean is that your reports from two different workspaces are linked to the same dataset.

So, if the user has build permisssion in workspace2, the user will get the build permission. But you can let the user as a viewer role in WS1, then the user won't be able to create a visual in WS1.

More detail please refer this official article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-manage-access-permissions#ma... 

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors