Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Workspaces being created automatically

For some reason, everytime someone creates an Office 365 Group a corresponding Power BI Workspace is being created... 

This did not used to happen in our enviroment...   

Need to know what to tell our IT Admins as to why this is happening...

Any help / advice..  It's creating a nightmare for Power BI users when they get a unmanageable list of Workspaces 90% of which do not have any content.. 

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have also the same issue whenever I creat office 365 group workspace will be created automatically 

I don't know what to do, multiple workspaces are getting populated  

please if you have a solution

Thanks,

Askal

It would appear that you are creating the classic workspaces and NOT the new Workspaces.

Unless they have been created a long time ago when they were all classic workspaces?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you can create a new workspace using New Workspace experience, It's not going to create any background office 365 groups, means it’s not going to show up in place likes outlook, Microsoft teams, OneDrive that took advantage of Office 365 groups.

For more details on New workspace experience, you can check out this blog
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-New-Workspace-Experience-Power-BI/ba-p/765305

Regards,
Amit

Anonymous
Not applicable

Amit, The problem/challenge is that Workspaces are being created everytime an O365 Group is being created... which is creating a very long list of Power BI Workspaces that shoudl NOT be there.. 

We are taking full advantge of the new workspace experience... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @Anonymous ,

I am not sure you are using new workspance experiecne but still you can see Office 365 groups, This should not to be happen.
Coming to restrict the user, I will suggest to "control the users that can create a workspace" under tenant setting as per @GilbertQ  guidelines.

Regards,
Amit

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Yes this does happen by default when creating a V1 App Workspace.

If creating a V2 App Workspace it appears to create a teams site.

There is an option in the tenant settings to only allow certain groups or users to create app workspaces. Which can help limit how many get created.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors