Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

WencyREN
Frequent Visitor

Workspace usge metrics report not refreshing

Dear, I have a premium workspace with several reports published on it, and we have been using the PBI auto-generated usage metrics report to capture each report's usage, the report usage was supposed to be refreshed on daily basis but since this month the usage data is not refreshed anymore. I checked the datasets setting and looks like there is an error occured related to credentials when there was refresh intent for the usage metrics report (And since 7 Jun, the refresh intent stopped). I updated the data credentials section and on the next day when I checked the usage report, it was still not refreshed.... Could someone please help advise? Details screenshot pls see below (I hid the sensitive information). Thank you in advance! 

WencyREN_0-1656400383447.png

WencyREN_1-1656400893051.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
m-colbert
Resolver II
Resolver II

@WencyREN 

Create a flow with a trigger that is recurrence, meaning on a schedule, se the frequency, then use the Power BI action of refresh dataset.

Start by creating a scheduled cloud flow 

mcolbert_1-1656687580411.png

Enter a name for your flow and set the time to refresh

mcolbert_2-1656687619248.png

This gives you the trigger, than add your refresh action as the next step, 

mcolbert_4-1656687703977.png

Select the workspace, the dataset will be named as shown, you will need one for each workspace that you want to refresh metrics for,

mcolbert_5-1656687787828.png

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Thiago_Sgarbi
Frequent Visitor

that doesnt' work here 

Thiago_Sgarbi_0-1664291312246.png

Thiago_Sgarbi_1-1664291347031.png

m-colbert
Resolver II
Resolver II

@WencyREN 

Create a flow with a trigger that is recurrence, meaning on a schedule, se the frequency, then use the Power BI action of refresh dataset.

Start by creating a scheduled cloud flow 

mcolbert_1-1656687580411.png

Enter a name for your flow and set the time to refresh

mcolbert_2-1656687619248.png

This gives you the trigger, than add your refresh action as the next step, 

mcolbert_4-1656687703977.png

Select the workspace, the dataset will be named as shown, you will need one for each workspace that you want to refresh metrics for,

mcolbert_5-1656687787828.png

Hope this helps!

NDC
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue.  The usage metrics report refresh was paused by the system due to multiple refresh failures after the original dataset owner left the company.  I have changed the credentials to myself (Admin), but there is no button to restart the refreshes and it's not happening automatically.  

You can easily set these datasets to refresh using Power Automate. I was refreshing each workspace's usage metrics report daily. Works like a charm. And Power BI is not a premoum connecotr so no extra licenses needed. Since add a recurring trigger and use the refresh a dataset action.

Thank you so much for your reply! Is it possible for you to share few sample screenshots/explain a bit more further where/how to start setting a workspace usage metrics dataset refresh with Power automate? I am quite new on this one, thanks!

Well, there's a lot to unpack if you aren't familiar with Power Automate at all, but basically you can create a new flow on a recurring schedule, select the time of day you want the refresh to run. Then add a dataset refresh action form the Power BI connector, you will be able to select any workspace and dataset you have access to. The Usage Metrics Report dataset does not show inthe service when browsing the datasets, but will be included in the dropdown.

This is a bit old and is based on a file being updated, but gives you the gist of the process. 

Refresh your Power BI dataset using Microsoft Flow | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Good luck.

I saw the PBI data refresh action but I am not sure what can be the action trigger here? Many thanks!

WencyREN_0-1656662877063.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors