Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

letsgobro
Frequent Visitor

Workspace in premium capacity vs license mode

I need some help in understanding some settings I'm seeing in the admin portal vs the workspace settings in my home screen.

Admin Portal: Under workspaces, I see the workspace listed here in the P1 capacity.  This tells me the workspace is in my dedicated capacity.

Now, when I go to my home page, click on the workspace and select settings and click the Premium tab, the license mode is set to "Premium per User" instead of "Premium per Capacity".  Is this intended behavior or am I supposed to set license mode to capacity also?  If I do change the option to capacity, it asks to select a capacity.  Why am I going through this again when the admin portal clearly shows that the workspace is already in that capacity?

What makes this even more confusing is that if I set the license mode to premium per capacity and later change it back to per user, the workspace gets removed out of the capacity for both the license mode AND in the admin portal.  

I understand that content in a PPU requires those accessing it to have that license where as a per capcacity can be shared with whomever.  Do I really need to add the workspace to a capacity and then also change the license mode to a capacity again?  This seems redundant and maybe I'm not understanding something, so I'm hoping someone can explain what I'm seeing here.

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @letsgobro 

I would imagine that you should set the App Workspace to Premium and then select your P1 capacity. 

Once that is done it should not then show PPU.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Yes, it does but still doesn't explain

a) Why is the workspace in a premium capacity but defaulting to the license mode of PPU?  I did not think this combination was allowed.

b) If the default is a PPU license mode for a workspace on a premium capacity; why does it rip the workspace out of the capacity when setting the license mode back to PPU if it was on a capacity?

Is this a distinction without a difference?  

Hi @letsgobro 

Yeah you are right, there is something that is not working as expected. 

I would say that this is a bug because it should be either Premium or Premium Per user and show that correctly.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors