Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Marc1979
Advocate I
Advocate I

Workspace and storage

Hello,

Can someone explain to me how the storage of power bi works with workspaces?

1. The workspace is 10 GB, is this storage assigned to a power bi pro license? What happens with the workspace if people with a power bi pro license leave?
  2. What happens with the content of the workspace if the owner of the workspace leaves the company?
  3. What happens with the content of the workspace if the creator of the concent leaves the company?

I have read this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-manage-your-data-storage-in-power-bi but I couldn't find the answers to my questions.

Kind regards.

Marc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Marc1979 No limitation that I am aware of. If there is, no one has encountered it yet.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@Marc1979 An assumption is being made here by Dale. That you are talking about an App Workspace (Group Workspace). These workspaces allow others to assume control as he stated above. However, if you are talking about the personal workspace (My Workspace) then those workspaces are bound to the user that left the company. You would need to login as that user, and there isn't any current method to extract or copy information from one workspace to another, so essentially you would need to rebuild it in a group workspace. This is why it is highly recommended that you build all company level reports or content that is shared with a wider audience in an App Workspace so nothing is ever lost.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for the explanation, one more question: are the number of group workspaces a company can have limited by the number of power bi licenses / ad users? Or isn't there any limitation?

Kind regards,

Marc

Hi Marc,

Please refer to #power-bi-apps-faq.

>>>Creating app workspaces won't create corresponding entities in Office 365 like group workspaces do. So you can create any number of app workspaces without worrying about different Office 365 groups being created behind the scenes (you can still use an Office 365 group’s OneDrive for Business to store your files).

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Then how do we create the corresponding entities in Office 365 like group workspaces incase if we need it?

Thank you

@Marc1979 No limitation that I am aware of. If there is, no one has encountered it yet.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Marc,

1. Both Free and Pro users have 10 GB data storage. The other admins can run the workspace.

>>>Free and Pro users have a maximum 10 GB data storage.Workspace and storage.png

2. The other admins can run the workspace. Workspace and storage2.png

3. The other admins can take the ownership of the dataset. And also the members can do it too if the members can edit the contents.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors