Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Workspace Management

Hi I have three questions 

1. Is there a way to disable PBI Pro user from creating a workspace?

2. As an admin, where can I find the list of all the workspaces in the enviornment ?

3. Can I provide specific authorization to users in a workspace. example. My workspace has three reports and a dashboard. I want to give a user access to two reports only. And dashboard only access to another user. 

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

1. Is there a way to disable PBI Pro user from creating a workspace? - Yes, in the Admin portal you can define which group can create a workspace

2. As an admin, where can I find the list of all the workspaces in the enviornment ? - I would do this via the PBI PowerShell cmdlet, or you can find this via the Admin Portal.

3. Can I provide specific authorization to users in a workspace. example. My workspace has three reports and a dashboard. I want to give a user access to two reports only. And dashboard only access to another user.  - In the new Workspace which is in Preview you can set Member, Read, Contributor and Admin roles for each user, but this cannot be defined for each report or dashbaord

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi batth_jatinder, below are my inputs hope it will help full 1. Is there a way to disable PBI Pro user from creating a workspace? Answer: In Admin Portal->Tenant - Workspace Settings -> Create workspace option you can apply "The entire organization" or "specific security group" (you have to create AD group for that and those users who can create the workspace). make sure you are "Power BI Service Administrator" 2. As an admin, where can I find the list of all the workspaces in the enviornment ? Answer: In Admin Portal -> Workspaces -> you will find all list of workspaces even you can export them in Excel, if you work on PowerShell cmdlts you can use GET-PowerBIWorkspace -All 3. Can I provide specific authorization to users in a workspace. example. My workspace has three reports and a dashboard. I want to give a user access to two reports only. And dashboard only access to another user. Answer: Yes, you can assigned reports like that way go to the workspace select dataset where all the report dataset listed in that select the particular report click on the elips (...) select manage permission and add or remove user who need to access this report. Thanks
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

I assume that you belong to the role Power BI Service Administrator.

As long as you do not use Power BI Premium capacity, and you are not an Admin of each workspace, there is just the way using Powershell cmdlets to find a list of all the available workspaces as @nirvana_moksh already mentioned.

Here is a link to the powershell cmdlet you need:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoftpowerbimgmt.workspaces/Get-PowerBIWorksp...

use example 3, it's important to use the scope organization

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

1. Is there a way to disable PBI Pro user from creating a workspace? - Yes, in the Admin portal you can define which group can create a workspace

2. As an admin, where can I find the list of all the workspaces in the enviornment ? - I would do this via the PBI PowerShell cmdlet, or you can find this via the Admin Portal.

3. Can I provide specific authorization to users in a workspace. example. My workspace has three reports and a dashboard. I want to give a user access to two reports only. And dashboard only access to another user.  - In the new Workspace which is in Preview you can set Member, Read, Contributor and Admin roles for each user, but this cannot be defined for each report or dashbaord

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors