Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rajulshah
Super User
Super User

Working of the dataset with structural changes via Deployment Pipeline

Hello everyone,

Please guide me on the below questions:

• When using deployment pipelines in Power BI, while deploying from one stage to another, does it empty the whole dataset and after the report gets deployed to another stage?
  • When deploying from one stage to another, if there are any structural changes, does it refresh the whole dataset or just that table or keep the empty column(if a column is added) until the refresh is done?
    Please guide on this.

Any guidance would be helpful.

@marcorusso @Greg_Deckler @MFelix 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi , @rajulshah 

As far as I know, here is the answer of the official documentation to the question you mentioned:

Data in the target Power BI item, such as a dataset or dataflow, is kept when possible. If there are no changes to a Power BI item that holds the data, the data is kept as it was before the deployment.

In many cases, when you have a small change such as adding or removing a table, Power BI keeps the original data. For breaking schema changes, or changes in the data source connection, a full refresh is required.

For more information, you can refer to :
Deployment pipelines, the Power BI Application lifecycle management (ALM) tool, process - Power BI |...

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @rajulshah 

Here are my answers to your two advisory questions about the deployment pipeline feature of PBI:

Q1:When using deployment pipelines in Power BI, while deploying from one stage to another, does it empty the whole dataset and after the report gets deployed to another stage?

As far as I know, the process of deploying the pipeline will deploy the metadata and inter-table relationships of the dataset at this stage to the next stage, but the data will not be deployed in the past, and the loading of data requires you to reconfigure the credentials defined by the gateway connection and data source for the dataset in the current workspace, and trigger a data refresh to re-import the data.

Q2:When deploying from one stage to another, if there are any structural changes, does it refresh the whole dataset or just that table or keep the empty column(if a column is added) until the refresh is done?

As far as I know, if Power BI recognizes any structural changes at deployment time, it will recognize the two datasets as differences, and if it is a deploy between two items marked as difference, one-to-one full coverage.

Specifically, you can refer to this official document, and the operation between the two datasets marked as different is as follows:

Get started using deployment pipelines, the Power BI Application lifecycle management (ALM) tool - P...

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1670464175487.png

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@rajulshah As discussed here: Deployment pipelines, the Power BI Application lifecycle management (ALM) tool, process - Power BI |.... When deploying to an empty stage, the data is not copied, just the metadata, etc. and so a refresh is required at the next stage to get the data. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

SO @Greg_Deckler , after deploying to another stage, does it empty the dataset?

Hi , @rajulshah 

As far as I know, here is the answer of the official documentation to the question you mentioned:

Data in the target Power BI item, such as a dataset or dataflow, is kept when possible. If there are no changes to a Power BI item that holds the data, the data is kept as it was before the deployment.

In many cases, when you have a small change such as adding or removing a table, Power BI keeps the original data. For breaking schema changes, or changes in the data source connection, a full refresh is required.

For more information, you can refer to :
Deployment pipelines, the Power BI Application lifecycle management (ALM) tool, process - Power BI |...

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors