cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
troth Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Within the gateway for a given data resource if I use windows auth upn's sometimes fail

So it seems like there may be a upn length limitation within the gateway/datasource, AD allows 1024 characters for the upn, I'm using about 30 characters.  If I use a short upn it works if longer not sure what lenght it fails.  when I look at the error details it shows the upn converted to a samaccountname.  Is this a known issue that I missed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
troth Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Within the gateway for a given data resource if I use windows auth upn's sometimes fail

lol the issue is not within the gateway process its a limitation of sql as far as I can tell, I don't think sql supports upn's.  I never really paid attention to what sql does when you enter a upn for as a login id, it converts it to a samaccountname by looking up the name in AD, as far as I can tell, the issue being my accounts names may not be unique given the limitations of samaccountname character length.  I think azure sql supports true upns.  I have alternative methods to accomplish what I need but the names won't be as self describing.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
troth Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Within the gateway for a given data resource if I use windows auth upn's sometimes fail

lol the issue is not within the gateway process its a limitation of sql as far as I can tell, I don't think sql supports upn's.  I never really paid attention to what sql does when you enter a upn for as a login id, it converts it to a samaccountname by looking up the name in AD, as far as I can tell, the issue being my accounts names may not be unique given the limitations of samaccountname character length.  I think azure sql supports true upns.  I have alternative methods to accomplish what I need but the names won't be as self describing.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Join us in the third Triple A event!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

It’s the start of a new Super User season! Learn all about the new Super Users and brand-new tiered recognition system.

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're celebrating the start of the New Super User season with our first ever Super User 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

January 2020 Community Highlights

January 2020 Community Highlights

Make sure you didn't miss any of the things that happened in the community in January!

Top Solution Authors