Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Azharuddin
Regular Visitor

With the Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operation, Enterprise Edition, July 2017 release I discovered

With the Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operation, Enterprise Edition, July 2017 release I discovered the menu item “Entity store” found under System administration > Setup. The form contain a number of “Aggregate measurements”.

Microsoft define aggregate measurements in the following way:

“An aggregate measurement is a model that contains a collection of measures together with their corresponding dimensions. Measures are aggregate numbers, such as Total Sales or Number of Orders. Dimensions are slicers, such as Product, Vendor, or Customer Microsoft Dynamics CRM Training, that help you analyze the measure. For example, the measure of Total Sales isn't useful unless it can be sliced by Product, Region, and Customer.”

“You can create data entities by directly referencing aggregate measurements and aggregate dimensions. These are known as aggregate data entities. Aggregate data entities are read-only data entities that are used for reporting purposes.”

1. History

In different versions of D365 the number of aggregate measurements have grown over time and the July 2017 release contain 48 different aggregated measurements.

2. Power BI Embedded

Power Bi Embedded provide the user information about different topics from a direct query to aggregate measures in the entity store. It is an Azure service that current is available in nine data centers. It is not a free service but it does not require a Power BI.com user license.

The difference between Power BI.com and Power Bi Embedded are illustrated in this drawing found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/unified-operations/dev-itpro/analytics/power-bi-embedde...

3. Demo environment deployed

After deploying a demo environment, I want to use one of the workspaces that contain Power BI Embedded functionality. When I select the workspace, I receive the following message. “Power Bi embedded is not enabled. Please contact your system administrator”.

I tried to Google myself to a solution but did not find a description on docs.microsoft.com.

4. Enable Power BI Embedded

One of my colleagues came across a document with the title “Activate the new Power BI Embedded Reports from July 2017 Update = Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations QUICK AND DIRTY !!!” posted by Helmut Wimmer 5. July 2017.

After following the described approach the Power Bi Embedded it is now possible to get access and use Power BI embedded in D365.

5. Refresh aggregate measurements

Before you can use Power BI embedded the different aggregated measurements you are going to use they have to be refreshed. This is done from System administration > Setup > Entity store. Select menu item “Refresh”. It runs by default as recurrence every minute.

6. Workspaces and menu items

Power Bi Embedded and Power BI.com functionality are available mainly in workspaces but a few Power Bi Embedded are located in specific menu items.

In the picture below a red square indicates that the workspace contain Power BI Embedded and a yellow color indicates that the workspace contain Power BI.

7. Power BI embedded functionality

Several workspaces show the Power BI Embedded KPI’s when you open the workspace e.g. CFO Overview:

Other have the functionality on an “Analytics” pane in the workspace, e.g. “Manage customer credit and collections”.

At least one Power Bi Embedded is available from a menu item, e.g. Production control > Inquiries and reports > Production performance analysis > Production performance:

In the right side of an Analysis form filter functionality is available. It is intuitive and easy to change the filter functionality and it update the KPI’s immediately. 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Azharuddin,

Thanks for sharing this article!

I am trying to find out which of the entity list should i refresh for getting data into the CFO OVERVIEW report in Dynamics.

Does anyone knows?

Many thanks!

Greets,

Rega

mucis727

Hi,

Could you please share the article if you or your colleague can still access it?

I am not able to find the way to enable Power BI embedded and still have the same issue.

Thank you.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Azharuddin,

Thanks for your sharing. Smiley Happy

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors