Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will Page Refresh/Change Detection work for published REPORT? (i.e. not just on the Desktop file)

Hello, I have a couple questions around this and just looking for specific answers to each if anyone knows? 

1. If I have a .pbix file with ONLY direct query data and I set up Page Refresh OR Change Detection, once I publish the .pbix file to the service and open the report, will the visuals automatically display the updated data while viewing (or would I need to refresh the browser or click on the refresh icon like I have to with Scheduled Refresh?) 

• and is this the same for both the "Report" and "Dashboard" in Power BI Service?

2. Same question as above, but what if I have a .pbix file with BOTH import and direct query data?

I'm trying to achieve displaying a report in full screen mode on a TV, and have the visuals update by themselves without user interaction. The only other way I know to do this is using a browser extension and Scheduled Refresh.  Any other ideas are very much welcome 🙂

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on my own testing I have concluded:

1. Yes the visuals will update automaticall in realtime without the need to refresh browser or click refresh icon, HOWEVER this only works for the "Dashboard" and not the "Report"

2. Yes, as long as the table with the changing data is the one that is connected via Direct Query

If anyone comes across anything different please do add to this thread 🙂

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on my own testing I have concluded:

1. Yes the visuals will update automaticall in realtime without the need to refresh browser or click refresh icon, HOWEVER this only works for the "Dashboard" and not the "Report"

2. Yes, as long as the table with the changing data is the one that is connected via Direct Query

If anyone comes across anything different please do add to this thread 🙂

Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

1. if you have page refresh set up, you do not need to refresh the browser. And only for report, not dashboard.

*Refer to below respond*

2. import mode is not supported.

Also check out the consideration and limitations here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-automatic-page-refresh#consideratio...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Tutu_in_YYC  thank you for the response.

1. I have started testing and created a Directy Query only .pbix file, published this to the Service and have 1 Dashboard and 1 Report

pbiuser001_0-1655159361450.png

When I put them both in full screen mode (on different monitors) and watch them, only the Dashboard updated the visuals automatically, the Report is static unless I refresh the browser or click the refresh icon...

2. I understand import mode on it's own is not possible, but if I create data from a mix of Directy Query and Import, the documentation from PBI says it should work? I think I just need to set the table with the changing data to Direct Query, the the dim/lookup tables can remain as import - not certain on this yet but if you have tried and tested please let me know.

1. You could be correct. The last time i did this was early this year, i may have remembered it wrong. But i was pretty sure that it would work in  report too. Thanks for trying this and letting me know. Im going to do a bit of testing too.

2. Yes. If the visual is using DQ.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: I don't think this is actually updating looking at another table visual I have added. 

I have a card showing the total number of job requests, and a table that shows who the job requests are assigned to. The table is defintely not updating in the Report... I think I was getting confused by basing it off the number of job requests, the Report is showing a static number of 44 that hasn't changed in the past 15 mins, and the Dasboard has been changing every minute and is now on 46

Also as an FYI I have my Page Refresh set to every 1 minute and connected to an SQL Server Database.

Hi @Tutu_in_YYC 

I am noticing that the Report does seem to update but there could be a bit of a lag? Have just noticed the numbers are matching now at the moment... 

Im pretty sure the auto-refresh works on reports. Just make sure you are on premium capacity to eleverage refresh faster than 30min. And it is not limited by your capacity admin, see below.

Tutu_in_YYC_0-1655227171750.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting I'm on a Pro account, but am currently on PPU (Premium Per User) trial. I will leave the screen on for 30 mins and see if it updates 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks 🙂 Please let me know if you come across any updates upon your testing.

One other thing I'm looking to resolve, is the fit to screen for the Dashboard. I have pinned my entire Report to the Dashboard (instead of pinning each visual to a tile) and for some reason the full screen doesn't fit to screen like the Report full screen does, there's a whole lot of grey space around the 'tile'. I don't know how to fix this yet...

pbiuser001_0-1655160398295.png

in the dashboard, bottom left corner, there are 2 options to adjust that. Try that out

Tutu_in_YYC_0-1655315293657.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if you can see this very well, but have tried to mark in red where the letterboxing appears.
When I click Fit to Screen:

pbiuser001_1-1655354178708.png

When I click Fit to Width (scrollbar also appears)

pbiuser001_2-1655354215018.png

I'm wondering if there is a specific pixel size or canvas ratio that would help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors