Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thisisausername
Helper II
Helper II

Why would Premium be better than Pro for refresh times?

Assuming that we don't need any of the specific extra features offered by Premium, and are just interested in 'better performance'.

What exactly does Premium give us that would better than what Microsoft already manages with all its resources as part of Pro - in terms of refresh times?

Things like Premium having a maximum number of concurrent refreshes etc. make me wonder this.

4 REPLIES 4
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thisisausername ,

The biggest advantage of Premium is that it provides exclusive capacity for the organization. From this point, you can consider other performance problems.

What is Power BI Premium? 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@thisisausername This isn't as easy as "premium is better" in terms of performance. You get a ton when it comes to just Pro licenses. Premium is great because you get dedicated capacity, but you are now bound by the specific capacity. If you are looking at P1 skus then that is a 8 core machine with 25GB of RAM... depending on how much you have going on, that could be a ton (which means the isolation would be good in terms of you being able to see an increase in refresh times. Or, it could be really small so you are incurring a really large cost for a "smaller" machine.

There are many more factors to consider depending on your use-case.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

So Premium could  offer worse performance (e.g. in terms of total refresh times) if you choose a SKU that's too small for your organization?

@thisisausername Absolutely. For example, we use embedded extensively. If I buy an A1 sku that only gives me 1 core and 3GB of RAM. Most of my datatsets when being processed are well over 2GB and some over that. Throw in multiple reports refreshing and different models and I regularly have to start at an A3 for my different embedded capacity neeeds. The same principals apply to P sku's. You have to look at the total processing RAM not just storage of the compressed models. And, all the models you have and refresh times. So if your needs are more in the 30-40 GB range then you automatically need a P2 sku to support your needs. In fact, with the premium storage if you don't have enough space, datasets just don't refresh at all because you are out of space.

Like I said, if people realized how much they get with a Pro license, they start to understand why its a great deal and why both report authors and end users need one.... all the infrastructure to support the "easy" experience adds up quick.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors