Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Why was Dataset *build* access needed for Users to get access to a report?

I have a Composite Model Report in Workspace 1 , that pulls from:

• Via Direct Query, Dataset A in Workspace 2
  • Via Import, several additional tables

Because the Report lives in a different Workspace than Dataset A, I've had to specifically give Users *read* permissions for Dataset A.  Pretty...pretty sure just Read permissions

Until today, when users suddenly get "Couldn't load the data for this visual" errors.

It's fixed if I add *build* permissions to Dataset A. But, why...?

10 REPLIES 10
v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmace1,

Refer to this post here. Your problem might be related.

The error you mentioned here is usually a transient issue, which I think might be related with the Data Source connection. Please try it again and see what happens.

Best Regards,

Link

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@v-xulin-mstf  Issue is still present. 

If I remove the build permissions, then users again get the "Couldnt load the data for this visual" error

Hi @mmace1,

Any RLS setting on published report? If this is a case, you need to assign roles to users.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

Best Regards,

Link

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@v-xulin-mstf 

Thanks.  No RLS involved.  But  I have it working - just the users need read *and* build permission on the dataset suddenly, and several other users are reporting the same sudden experience. 

Hi @mmace1,

It is a known issue that Microsoft is currently working on. ICM: 218686013

I will update here when i got any response.

Best Regards,

Link

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@v-xulin-mstf 

Was there ever any update to this?  i.e. - live with it, or planned fix in Q2, etc?   I tested today, and the issue still seems to be present. 

Same issue in our setup, waiting for resolution and update!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the exact same issue. It seems like something has changed. 

I have a New Composite Model that uses a Power BI "Golden Dataset" in a separate work space as direct query. Then has a few tables that Import.
Users who have read access to the Golden Dataset are getting the "Couldnt load the data for this visual" error.

According to MSFT this is expected design/behavior, "Build" permission is needed on the golden dataset for all report consumers. I have found an Idea to require only "Read" permission, not "Build" permission for this scenario and voted, pls help vote this up.
https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=6f4b0b13-d88d-eb11-8ced-281878ddff33

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

That's fairly crazy, since it nullifies the point of having two seperate permissions.  But interesting, thanks!  Also voted. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors