Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is publishing an app recommended so much? Sharing best practices

Hello,

We are currently looking to roll out Power BI in our organization. We will be 6 report developers who need to share with around 90 people in our org. Currently all reporting is done in excel with mailing excel files to certain recipients. We are looking at how to best share our reports when everyone has a pro license but do not quite understand why apps are being recommended so much. Our current report distribution is highly specific per report. We cannot really distinguish between large groups that need multiple reports. So why would directly sharing not be a good solution? Wouldn't using apps for all report distribution just lead to a explosion of different workspaces to produce an app that is only viewed by a number of specific report consumers? General best practices on sharing are appreciated.

Greetings

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

This really goes to what you are trying to accomplish.  The questions first go to security - as in, who can see what?  Who should be able to modify a report or create their own versions?  Or create their own reports from your dataset.  The next set of questions are along with security but are related to who wants to see what reports.  Technically, you could have one workspace and publish every report to that workspace and then let all 90 people sort it out as to what is for them.  Or, you could have one workspace and multiple reports and only share the reports with certain folks.  There are lots of options.  It is not helpful if one person or group of folks only are looking for certain reports (as in, Marketing) and you are giving them access to all the reports - they will get frustrated finding what is for them only.

If you want to allow the users to modify the reports (and maybe create their own from the dataset), you can just publish a report to a workspace and let it be.  

As for using "apps" - these are for when you don't want the users to be able to modify or adjust your reports/dashboards.  We sometimes use only apps - the users get what we gave them and we maintain who has access to which apps and we put the appropriate reports in each app.  We sometimes only create reports and share with everybody and don't even make dashboards.  

So, it really depends on what you actual goal is with the reports and how you want to differentiate who can see what and who can do what with the reports/dashboards/datasets that they see.

And, don't neglect the part of your question about the explosion of workspaces - you have to maintain that over time so think about the workspace(s) that you will create and the number of report(s) that you will create and how many app(s) that will end up being.  If you use RLS, you can potentiall seriously cut down on report(s) as you can have one report that is used in multiple workspaces with different people with different result sets - all from one report and one dataset.

Using your one sentence of "Our current report distribution is highly specific per report." sounds to me like you create one workspace and publish your reports, make your dashboards, and then only share the report with the right person(s) and never go to App level.  I don't see why you would create an App or a Workspace for each person if they all are getting their own report.  And - maybe you can use RLS to not have to make individual reports that are similar?

"Best Practice" is a bit nebulous because it depends so much on your environment, what level of permission you are sharing and what you desire to be the end result.  

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

This really goes to what you are trying to accomplish.  The questions first go to security - as in, who can see what?  Who should be able to modify a report or create their own versions?  Or create their own reports from your dataset.  The next set of questions are along with security but are related to who wants to see what reports.  Technically, you could have one workspace and publish every report to that workspace and then let all 90 people sort it out as to what is for them.  Or, you could have one workspace and multiple reports and only share the reports with certain folks.  There are lots of options.  It is not helpful if one person or group of folks only are looking for certain reports (as in, Marketing) and you are giving them access to all the reports - they will get frustrated finding what is for them only.

If you want to allow the users to modify the reports (and maybe create their own from the dataset), you can just publish a report to a workspace and let it be.  

As for using "apps" - these are for when you don't want the users to be able to modify or adjust your reports/dashboards.  We sometimes use only apps - the users get what we gave them and we maintain who has access to which apps and we put the appropriate reports in each app.  We sometimes only create reports and share with everybody and don't even make dashboards.  

So, it really depends on what you actual goal is with the reports and how you want to differentiate who can see what and who can do what with the reports/dashboards/datasets that they see.

And, don't neglect the part of your question about the explosion of workspaces - you have to maintain that over time so think about the workspace(s) that you will create and the number of report(s) that you will create and how many app(s) that will end up being.  If you use RLS, you can potentiall seriously cut down on report(s) as you can have one report that is used in multiple workspaces with different people with different result sets - all from one report and one dataset.

Using your one sentence of "Our current report distribution is highly specific per report." sounds to me like you create one workspace and publish your reports, make your dashboards, and then only share the report with the right person(s) and never go to App level.  I don't see why you would create an App or a Workspace for each person if they all are getting their own report.  And - maybe you can use RLS to not have to make individual reports that are similar?

"Best Practice" is a bit nebulous because it depends so much on your environment, what level of permission you are sharing and what you desire to be the end result.  

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your useful reply.

Hi @Anonymous ,

If it was useful could you mark it as a solution and/or give Kudos?  THanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors