Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

edmaitch

Why is my On Premise Gateway "Not Configured Correctly"?

I'm having issues setting up the On Premise Gatway. When I try to use a Gateway for my Dataset I see the Status is "Not configured correctly", but when I look in the Gateway settings all looks good, specifically:

In the Manage Gateways UI

• The Gatway is 'Online: You are good to go'
  • The Data Source shows 'Connection Successful'
  • My user is an admin for the gateway and in the user list of the data source

The data source is SQL Server. Other gateways have been setup before on this infrastructure

Any ideas as to where we are going wrong? Thanks

edmaitch_0-1642757194064.png

edmaitch_1-1642757409172.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @edmaitch ,

Please ensure the dataset has been connected to the SQL Server database.

More details:

Connect a dataset to a SQL Server database

1. Under Actions, expand the toggle button to view the data sources and select the Add to gateway link.
  2. On the Gateways management page, on the Data Source Settings tab, enter and verify the following information, and select Add.

3. On the Datasets tab, expand the Gateway connection section again. Select the data gateway you configured, which shows a Status of running on the machine where you installed it, and select Apply.

If it is still error, please make sure whether still cloud data sources inside.

If so, in Gateway Cluster Settings Please ensure ticked "Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh thorufh this gatway cluster" option. After ticked it and saved it.

vpollymsft_0-1643093524691.png

Slimilar post: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Power-Bi-gateway-quot-not-configured-correctly-quot/m-p/745...

I have found another similar post, please refer to it to see if it helps you.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Dataset-gateway-not-configured-correctly/m-p/1654420

• Go to server side and open hosts file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.
  • Insert a new line in there for LOCAL SERVER IP that is resolving to SERVER DNS NAME.
  • Then connect trough SERVER DNS NAME to SQL Server database on both local machine and remote server.
  • And the connection to PowerBI dataset Is therefore also the same.

If it still does not work, please provide a screenshot with the error.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @edmaitch ,

Please ensure the dataset has been connected to the SQL Server database.

More details:

Connect a dataset to a SQL Server database

1. Under Actions, expand the toggle button to view the data sources and select the Add to gateway link.
  2. On the Gateways management page, on the Data Source Settings tab, enter and verify the following information, and select Add.

3. On the Datasets tab, expand the Gateway connection section again. Select the data gateway you configured, which shows a Status of running on the machine where you installed it, and select Apply.

If it is still error, please make sure whether still cloud data sources inside.

If so, in Gateway Cluster Settings Please ensure ticked "Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh thorufh this gatway cluster" option. After ticked it and saved it.

vpollymsft_0-1643093524691.png

Slimilar post: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Power-Bi-gateway-quot-not-configured-correctly-quot/m-p/745...

I have found another similar post, please refer to it to see if it helps you.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Dataset-gateway-not-configured-correctly/m-p/1654420

• Go to server side and open hosts file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.
  • Insert a new line in there for LOCAL SERVER IP that is resolving to SERVER DNS NAME.
  • Then connect trough SERVER DNS NAME to SQL Server database on both local machine and remote server.
  • And the connection to PowerBI dataset Is therefore also the same.

If it still does not work, please provide a screenshot with the error.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Click on the triangle next to the status error.  Most likely you have a spelling (case) difference between your dataset and the gateway connection definition.  This is case sensitive and needs to match exactly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors