Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HamidBee
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Why do some rows in my table disappear when I add my measure?

HI, 

When I add my measure for some strange reason rows just disappear. How do I avoid this from happening?. I even included an index column to avoide this from happening.

Statement.png

Please find a link to the dataset that I am working with:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/f4tyos1nq8sgvtx/Sample_Statement.pbix/file

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The index doesn't matter. Powre BI only shows dimensions when there is also data (not when you just drop in a dim field and nothing else, but as soon as you drop in a measure, it filters the DIM field.)

So you'd have to create a measure that returned either 0 or a non-blank, so space or dash.

In a Table visual, you can tell it to show items with no data. Right-click on the dimension in the field pane:

edhans_0-1643738811813.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
edhans
Super User
Super User

Because the measures are returning blank, so data will not show up. So go into your measure and wrap it with COALESCE. 

So SUM(Table[SomeColumn]) becomes COALESCE(SUM(Table[SomeColumn]), 0)

So if it returns blank, it will show 0, not nothing.

I didn't download your file because it is asking for eleventy three cookies and some agreement and I closed it. If my answer above isn't correct, please reshare with OneDrive or Dropbox, or maybe someone else will agree to everything that site wants to put on their computer.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

HamidBee
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thank you for your reply. Although, I'd like the rows to show blank if there isn't a value there. Please see an image of what the table looks like before the measure is added:

Default state.png

As soon as I enter it this happens:

The code to fill in the table.png

I was hoping that adding the indexes would prevent this. The index and the attribute are both set to 'don't summarize'.

I was actually implementing the same method I had learnt from an online course. The teacher used the following code:

Selected Year Actuals =
VAR CurrentItem = SELECTEDVALUE( 'Income Statement Template'[Items (Normalized)] )

RETURN
SWITCH(TRUE(),
CurrentItem = "Total Revenues", DIVIDE([Revenues],1000,0),
CurrentItem= "Total COGS",DIVIDE([COGS],1000,0),
CurrentItem="Total Gross Profit",DIVIDE([Gross Profit],1000,0),
CurrentItem= "Gross Profit %",FORMAT([Gross Profit],"0.00%"),
CurrentItem="Total Other Expenses",DIVIDE([Other Expenses],1000,0),
CurrentItem="Total Net Profit",DIVIDE([Net Profit],10000,0),
CurrentItem="Net Profit %",FORMAT([Net Profit Margin],"0.00%"),
CALCULATE([Actuals (,000)],FILTER('Income Statement Data','Income Statement Data'[Expense Items]=CurrentItem)))
To obtain the following:

Enter.png

Here one can clearly see that the blanks are included. Allbeit if I set the 'income statment item' to 'don't summarize' the blank rows become hidden.

Don't summarize.png

On my visual, If I change the attribute from 'don't summarize' to 'first' it shows some of the empty rows but not all of them:

First.png

Do you have any idea on what I'm doing wrong here?

The index doesn't matter. Powre BI only shows dimensions when there is also data (not when you just drop in a dim field and nothing else, but as soon as you drop in a measure, it filters the DIM field.)

So you'd have to create a measure that returned either 0 or a non-blank, so space or dash.

In a Table visual, you can tell it to show items with no data. Right-click on the dimension in the field pane:

edhans_0-1643738811813.png

HamidBee
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Nice. The 'show items with no data' worked as it should. Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors