Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DeBIe
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Why do I need to grant access to external users via mail, while I already gave them access?

Hey all,

I am troubleshooting something which is confusing to me. It's about sharing my reports with external users from another organisation. What I normally do to share the report is to go to the report -> Manage permissions -> Direct Access -> Add User -> Grant Access

DeBIe_0-1662372151325.png

After this the user will receive an mail via PowerBI with the shared link for the dashboard. This used to work. Since a while I've been receiving mails (access requests) from users to whom I already gave access. Example mail below:

DeBIe_0-1662372732922.png

Does anybody know why I need to Grant Access double like this way? I did it before already in the service? It's very hard to work this way. For example if a new group of 50 users start using the dashboard today, most of my day will be about granting access via mail.

Thanks for your help.

2 REPLIES 2
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DeBIe ,

First , please check if the access of external users still exists.Make sure that all the users you invite have accepted the invitation and exist in this list

vmengzhumsft_0-1662442398763.png

Second, to access the reports, users need to log in to power bi through your tenant URL, which means they cannot access the shared reports if they are not through your tenant.

Third,ensure that you have not made any changes to the report, including permission settings and license-related content.

If I misunderstand your meanings, please let me know in time.

Related link:

Share Power BI reports and dashboards with coworkers and others - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Request or grant access to dashboards or reports - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-mengzhu-msft ,

Thank you for your reply.

"First , please check if the access of external users still exists.Make sure that all the users you invite have accepted the invitation and exist in this list"

When I share the report, they all appear under the pending tab.

"Second, to access the reports, users need to log in to power bi through your tenant URL, which means they cannot access the shared reports if they are not through your tenant"

Our IT-department manages the tenant and Azure environment. What do you mean by "Through your tenant"? Is there something we need to do extra here? This used to work before without any trouble, so I am suddenly a bit confused.

"Third,ensure that you have not made any changes to the report, including permission settings and license-related content."

This is not the case in my situation. Same report, no changes.

I read your articles, but none can explain any of my issues.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors