Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Georgia94
Regular Visitor

Why can't I edit my colleagues reports?

Hi,

my colleague and I have been working on our insightly reports in Power BI Service, he has shared his reports with me. However I cannot edit them, can you explain why this is? 

Is it not that there is a communal place to make reports - is it that each colleague has their own individual reports page and tabs?

4 REPLIES 4
winecountryrach
Frequent Visitor

If you're making and sharing reports, it was suggested to me in a PowerBI training that you work together on a PBIX file and use PowerBI desktop. Save the pbix file in OneDrive or a shared drive. Then you can both open it and work on the same reports and the same dataset.

@winecountryrach And what was suggested when you publish to the Service? What you outline below is solid advice for having multiple people have access to the PBIX files because it is good to manage all report changes from those and publish. But when you get to the Service, those reports need to be published to a Group, otherwise you lose the collaboration by siloing the reports into 1 personal workspace. Unless you are ignoring the Service all together and just passing around the PBIX files, which isn't typically what people mean when we speak of "Sharing" in Power BI. Sharing is done via the Service only.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Yes, I was suggesting just using PowerBI desktop and ignoring the service. If they are only working together on reports and not doing dashboards, the Service does not seem to add any value. In fact, it would obscure their data model which would also be a drawback.

@Georgia94 By default, everything starts in your own personal workspace. Anything you do there is only owned by you. If you want to collaborate and share content creation and have multiple "owners" then you need to create a Group Workspace (Pro License required) You can connect to the Content Pack from the Group workspace - described here Then both you and your collegue can edit each other's reports.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors