Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AntonioCosta77
Regular Visitor

Why Power BI Service doesn't assume field date format in the slice objects?

Hello,

The only why that i've have to ensure slicers has the date format dd/mm/yyyy is to change default browser language to portuguese (which implies to change the browser shows language), all the english languages change it to mm/dd/yyyy, but user, is an english speaker, and still wants dates with dd/mm/yyyy format..

I've changed this in the browser, windows settigns and PBI Desktop settings to have it work. but all these 3 must be in portuguese.

How can we format slices for dd/mm/yyyy without changing the user computer to another language?

Would be easiest, to Power BI to assume the date format, that the field in slice has?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @AntonioCosta77 ,

According to my test, the date format display in the slicer visual in PowerBI Desktop decided by the local client Regional settings. But when we view the report in Power BI service, the slicer date format is decided by browser language.

Go to the report URL and add  ?language=en-GB  at the end. See if the data format can change.

vkkfmsft_0-1628239659174.png

You can also try changing the Windows regional, the Desktop language, the browsers language and PowerBI Service language to English (United Kingdom) and see if it works.

vkkfmsft_2-1628240386857.png  vkkfmsft_1-1628240375398.png  

Best Regards,
Winniz

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AntonioCosta77
Regular Visitor

Hello Winniz,

Thank you for your reply .. as you said it works if you change settings for portuguese.

But my question is: User is an english speaker, so that, he wants to have Power BI Service in english, still he also wants the date in the format DD/MM/YYYY, with the day at first. How can we manage to have this format in the slices as well??

Regards

Antonio Costa 

Hi @AntonioCosta77 ,

Try to set the default language of the browser to English(United Kingdom), and then set the Power BI Service language to Default(browser language).

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Winniz,

Thanks again for your help.

Did either for Edge and Chrome.

1) Changed the Power BI service to browser language.

2) Signed out from PoBI

3) Changed language in browser (whole process to either Edge or Chrome)

4) Closed browser

5) Opened the browser

6) Went to Power BI Service report

But dates in the slice remains in the format MM/DD/YYYY inestead of DD/MM/YYYY

AntonioCosta77_0-1628171552144.png

Is it possible the we are facing a bug? could this be workarounded by chaning regional settings in laptop ( can test it due to lack of permissions to change formats )

Regards

Antonio Costa

Hi @AntonioCosta77 ,

According to my test, the date format display in the slicer visual in PowerBI Desktop decided by the local client Regional settings. But when we view the report in Power BI service, the slicer date format is decided by browser language.

Go to the report URL and add  ?language=en-GB  at the end. See if the data format can change.

vkkfmsft_0-1628239659174.png

You can also try changing the Windows regional, the Desktop language, the browsers language and PowerBI Service language to English (United Kingdom) and see if it works.

vkkfmsft_2-1628240386857.png  vkkfmsft_1-1628240375398.png  

Best Regards,
Winniz

Strange,

This worked for the URL in edge.

This also worked, just by changind browser language for UK and Power BI Service for browser default ( guess before we had some cache issues)

But still not working for edge.

Anyway, since it's working for chrome, i consider it solved.

Let's now see if it works in user computer.

Many thanks Winniz.

Regards

Antonio Costa

v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AntonioCosta77 ,

In my test, I can change the format of the date in the slicer by modifying the language of Power BI Service.

vkkfmsft_0-1627889162998.png

Portuguese language:

image.png

English language:

image.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors