Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gt2904
Frequent Visitor

Which will be better data source: Local storage or Onedrive for Business

Hi all,

I know this is a super basic question, but I am just getting started with PowerBi and had a quick question. I am working on publishing a dashboard (expected to be widely distributed in the organization) which will require monthly refreshes till December - and I wanted to understand if it will be better to connect with the excel in my local storage - or it will be better to upload my excel in onedrive for business and then connect to powerbi. AFAIK, i can use the personal gateway for refreshes from the local file - but my aim is to keep things simple,  not to take any chances in case i lose link between pbi and onedrive and possibly allowing editing rights to other team members who might work on this in future. Can anyone please guide here ? I am a novice and looking for some advice ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I would use onedrive. That way you can modify the excel from any computer and you are not depending on a gateway for the refresh to work. That way is more secure that the data will be always refreshed at a certain time.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I would use onedrive. That way you can modify the excel from any computer and you are not depending on a gateway for the refresh to work. That way is more secure that the data will be always refreshed at a certain time.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors