Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Which user should configure the gateway

Hello all

When we started with Power BI (me and a coworker) we had to install and configure the on-premisis data gateway.

We installed it on one of our workstations (same we work with).

We configured auto data refreshes and noticed that when we shut down the said workstation it fails. Now we know that thats because its on our workstation, not on a server.

We wanted to reinstall it on a server, but came up with the following question:

To install and configure the gateway, a users mail is needed. What if the user gets deleted in AD? We wanted to set it up on a dummy user that will remain even if one of us leaves the company or smth similar. 

The used mail in the setup, is this connected to the gateway? What should we do? We are thinking of buying a license for this dummy user only that he can run the gateway.

Thank you and best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

if you are wondering what will happen if one of you leaves the company. You might consider the following:

• each user who is assigned as an administrator of the gateway, can takeover the gateway
  • the sign-in (to the Power BI service from the gateway) can be done by any user, with the appropriate license

This means you do not necessarily buy an additional license, a sometimes IT demands that the registration of the gateway has to use a managed service account.

Hopefully, this answers your question.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

The used mail in the setup, is this connected to the gateway? What should we do? We are thinking of buying a license for this dummy user only that he can run the gateway.

Yes, the used mail in the setup is the mail account connected to the gateway. 

In addition, the suggestion of TomMartens should be helpful. If you have solved your problem, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

if you are wondering what will happen if one of you leaves the company. You might consider the following:

• each user who is assigned as an administrator of the gateway, can takeover the gateway
  • the sign-in (to the Power BI service from the gateway) can be done by any user, with the appropriate license

This means you do not necessarily buy an additional license, a sometimes IT demands that the registration of the gateway has to use a managed service account.

Hopefully, this answers your question.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors