Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where to install the Gateway and how to use it.

We have 3 SQL Servers.  Dev, QA and Prod.  The Prod server is really restrictive as far as Group Policy and the firewall.

I am trying to use Power BI, I have the desktop installed.  When I publish, it suceeds, but can't connect to data source because unable to find gateway.

There may be a Gateway in our organization, but unsure on what computer it may be installed, if one is even installed.  If I were to install a Gateway, where should I install it?  On one of my threee SQL Servers?  On all three?  On my machine?  Once it is installed how do I tell Power BI...  "This is where the Gateway is installed", so it can be used.

I am using a free version, but beleive we do have Pro versions available.  Any help and or advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

The best advice is to install the Gateway on a separate server is ideal. This is because it can consume CPU & memory when doing the refreshing of the data.
With that being said you could install it onto another server.

When you complete the install it will ask you to log in and make you the Default Administrator for the Gateways and it will appear in the Power BI Service.

Here are more details: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Hi there

There will be no double hop issue if you install it on another server.

And as per best practise I would suggest to have it installed on its own server.

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

The best advice is to install the Gateway on a separate server is ideal. This is because it can consume CPU & memory when doing the refreshing of the data.
With that being said you could install it onto another server.

When you complete the install it will ask you to log in and make you the Default Administrator for the Gateways and it will appear in the Power BI Service.

Here are more details: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info...

So at this point, we are installing a new Prod server.  Currently I can't deploy SSIS packages, SSRS reports or hardly anything because the server is locked down with group policy and behind a firewall.  I had to jump through all these hoops to even get someone to look at GPO settings.  Am I going to have the same problems with a gateway?  Am I going to have issues with it talking to the Prod server if its on another machine?  Are there double hop issues like with SSRS reports?

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi there

There will be no double hop issue if you install it on another server.

And as per best practise I would suggest to have it installed on its own server.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors