Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

When duplicating a Content Pack, it now warns "warning, this is a snapshot"

Does anyone know that this warning means?  Does it mean that any changes to the visualisations will not flow through, or does it mean any changes to the underlying data will not flow through, or both?

I don't recall seeing this message before.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi MattAllington,

Have you checked the following article about contact pack? When someone creates a content pack and publishes it to a group, you can have own copy of the content pack dashboard and reports as long as you are a member of the group. And your work does not affect the source, the original content pack, or other group members.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-organizational-content-packs-intro...

In addition, could you please post the full message about “it doesn't need to be refreshed”? We also need to know that when the message occurs in the copy of content pack and how content pack creator connects to SSAS. As stated in the above link, the refresh settings are inherited with the dataset when the original content pack is published.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@MattAllington Hi Matt, do you mean warning as below ?

Capture.PNG

From previous experience, since this is making a copy of content pack users don't get notified of any updates that happen to content pack for the copied version of report and dataset. While for original report and dataset users do get notification saying update has happened to content pack.

Yes that is the message.  Further information from today - it seems that there is a message in the "copy" of the content pack saying that the data sources is connected to SSAS (in my case) and therefore it doesn't need to be refreshed.  So I am assuming this message only refers to the design of the content pack (in this case), not the actually underlying data.  That is what I would expect, but the message is not very clear, and can be confusing.  Also it is not clear how this is the same or different in the case were a data model is deployed to the service.  I guess in this use case maybe the structure AND the data don't get refreshed.  That would be a problem!!

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors