Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

When do you need a Pro license?

Hi,

I have a Pro license and am currently the only one in my company branch who creates reports/dashboards in PBI Desktop and publishes them to PBI Service. I gave access to my App (containing my dashboard) to a colleague who's never used PBI, ie doesn't have a license. They are able to view my dashboard on PBI Service. Why then am I seeing variations of this reponse when describing the advantages of a Pro license? 

"A Power BI Pro license is needed for both developers and report consumers to view reports in the Power BI Service in the absence of Power BI Premium."

Why is my colleague able to "consume" my report without a license?

Thanks,

Charles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

The licence requirements as you stated them are correct.

There are a few reasons why your colleague may be able to see your report, in increasing order of unlikeliness: 

1. Your colleague has accepted a Trial Pro licence, that runs for 60 days. This is offered to unlicenced users when they first access a Report.
  2. Your colleague has been granted a Pro licence and is not aware of it.
  3. Your colleague has an Office 365 E5 licence, that includes a Power BI Pro licence.
  4. Your colleague is using another logon (yours?) to Power BI that has a licence.
  5. You have used "Published to web", which gives anonymous access, rather than secure sharing, which requires a licence.
  6. Christmas has come early and Santa Claus has suspended the licenceing rules for Power BI 😁

I think that probably Number 1 is the most likely; your colleague can check this by clicking on the top right "Profile" of the Power BI Service, and it will show what Licence they have. (Unless, of course you believe in Santa Claus ).

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

The licence requirements as you stated them are correct.

There are a few reasons why your colleague may be able to see your report, in increasing order of unlikeliness: 

1. Your colleague has accepted a Trial Pro licence, that runs for 60 days. This is offered to unlicenced users when they first access a Report.
  2. Your colleague has been granted a Pro licence and is not aware of it.
  3. Your colleague has an Office 365 E5 licence, that includes a Power BI Pro licence.
  4. Your colleague is using another logon (yours?) to Power BI that has a licence.
  5. You have used "Published to web", which gives anonymous access, rather than secure sharing, which requires a licence.
  6. Christmas has come early and Santa Claus has suspended the licenceing rules for Power BI 😁

I think that probably Number 1 is the most likely; your colleague can check this by clicking on the top right "Profile" of the Power BI Service, and it will show what Licence they have. (Unless, of course you believe in Santa Claus ).

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors