Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

andrewsimmans
Helper I
Helper I

When Publishing an App, the permissions no longer being automatically applied to the Shared Dataset

I have an App that was created about a month ago which has Reports in it using a shared dataset from a different Workspace. When I published it about a month ago I gave permissions to about 10 people to access it and at that time those permissions were automatically applied to the Dataset.

This week I re-published the App and added two more people to it and they were able to access the App OK but got errrors as they did not have permissions to access the dataset. On looking it seemed that this time the permissions did NOT get applied to the Dataset and I had to manually add the people - is anyone else discovering this - is this how it is supposed to work - you have to manually add permissions BOTH for the dataset and the App?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I am now being told this is by design and I have created an idea to ask for this to be automated.

See https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/38873902-when-publishing-an-app-u... 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @andrewsimmans ,

There are several points you may considerate:

1.Please check if this user has Pro license, or the user's Pro or Free license has expired, unless the content is in a Premium capacity.

2.Please check if the user is outside of your organization, If so, you may need to invite the users as guest first of all, see more detail: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b.

3.Please check if there is RLS setting for the dataset, and the user has no permission to the dataset.

4.Please check if the user is member of this workspace.

5.Please check if he/she set the group exception. 

63.png

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Amy,

Thanks for your input - I have done some more testing and the issue seems to be specific to where the datasets is shared from a different workspace. I have answered your various points as below - I wonder if I am best raising a support call as this does not sound like expected behaviour

1.Please check if this user has Pro license, or the user's Pro or Free license has expired, unless the content is in a Premium capacity.

Yes they do

2.Please check if the user is outside of your organization, If so, you may need to invite the users as guest first of all, see more detail: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-azure-ad-b2bAll Internal users

3.Please check if there is RLS setting for the dataset, and the user has no permission to the dataset. No Row Level Security in use

4.Please check if the user is member of this workspace. No they are not members of the workspace and I do not want them to be as they should purely be using the App - the other users that were (and are on other Apps) being added OK to the Dataset permissions are also not members of the Workspace.

5.Please check if he/she set the group exception. I have checked that and there is no Exception set (I am the Power BI Admin)

Further to this I raised a Service Call and Microsoft Support have been able to replicate the issue at their end. It seems to occur where the Source Dataset is in a different workspace to the Reports - i.e. it is a shared dataset.

I am now being told this is by design and I have created an idea to ask for this to be automated.

See https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/38873902-when-publishing-an-app-u... 

@andrewsimmans 

Thanks for the update and idea in power bi idea's froum page. It would be help ful other customers also.

Thanks once again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors