Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Winniethewinner
Helper III
Helper III

What's the difference among RLS, permission, access settings?

Hi everyone, 

I'm a bit confused by the different "access control" settings in PBI and hoping to get some clarifications here.

For example I have a PBI desktop file is ready to pubish. 

• RLS: so firstly I create roles in the PBI desktop, then I publish to a workspace. 

Winniethewinner_0-1648491933444.png

Then I go to workspace, click "Security" next to dataset, and then I add people to each role that I created in desktop.  

Winniethewinner_1-1648492328169.png

Winniethewinner_2-1648492590940.png

My first question is, what people can see, in Workspace and App, till this step?

• Manage permissions: my second question is what does this do? 

Winniethewinner_3-1648493027753.png

• Permissions under "Update app" button: my next question is what does this one do?

Winniethewinner_4-1648493195672.png

• Access: theres is also "Access" button on the top right corner of the workspace where I can add people's email address and assign them to either of the four roles. What is the difference between "Access" and "Manage permission" and "Permission" under the update app?

Winniethewinner_5-1648493258687.png

If anyone please provide some clarifications and best practice of how to use these "access controls", that would be really appreciated. Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

I will go in rever order
Acess is for access level on Workspace, who can manage, contribute to the workspace (Admin/Developers), it applies at workspace level Roles in the new workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

Permission - What type to permissions user/group have - Read/reshare, it is at dataset/report level Manage dataset access permissions - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

RLS- This is applicable at dataset level to determine what data will be visible to users based on there acess level. This applys when shared through APP. Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

I will go in rever order
Acess is for access level on Workspace, who can manage, contribute to the workspace (Admin/Developers), it applies at workspace level Roles in the new workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

Permission - What type to permissions user/group have - Read/reshare, it is at dataset/report level Manage dataset access permissions - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

RLS- This is applicable at dataset level to determine what data will be visible to users based on there acess level. This applys when shared through APP. Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors