Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

W3nd3ll
Regular Visitor

What's the best way to share a report build with direct query?

Situation:

I've built a report that is using direct queries from 2 different databases.  I am needed to share the report with others in my organization, but I am having issues doing that.  I created an on-premise gateway that does allow others to view the report, but this only work when I am logged in to my organization VPN and my computer is online.  Whenever my computer goes offline or I get disconnected from my organization VPN, others can no longer access the report.

Can someone please help?

2 REPLIES 2
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @W3nd3ll ,

you have to install the gateway on a separate machine.

Here you will find some guidance about the location of the gateway: Guidance for deploying a data gateway for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hello Tom, 

Thanks for the response.  The gateway is currently installed on a separate computer from the one that is trying to access the report.  The problem is that each time the computer that the gateway is installed on disconnects from the VPN or shutdown, the report goes offline.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors